ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Tell me what your software DOESN'T do... (a rant)

<< < (3/5) > >>

app103:
Dear mister generic developer, please tell me what your software does not do. Upfront-like. Thank you.-tranglos (May 11, 2009, 05:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think it will never happen. No one will ever point out all weaknesses of his software because it violates basic marketing rule: "our product is the best".
-fenixproductions (May 11, 2009, 07:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Is this honest enough?  It continues to amaze me how many people download it, and that shellcity actually felt it worthy of featuring on their site about a year ago. (I more or less lost all respect for that site after they did that)

tsaint:
App103,
"...but it was good for what I needed it for at the time, and it's here because someone else might have a need for it, too.".
Obviously there are quite a few people to whom that applies.
You gave an honest critique of your "product" and gave a raison d'etre for it. Sounds good to me

40hz:
Dear mister generic developer, please tell me what your software does not do. Upfront-like. Thank you.
--- End quote ---

great point -- we would all be better off if programs gave us some bullet points of what they don't do, or don't do well.
-mouser (May 11, 2009, 05:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

The only problem with that is when somebody like Microsoft includes this verbiage in all their product licenses (emphasis added):

...provided AS IS without warranty of any kind. Microsoft disclaims all implied warranties including, without limitation, any implied warranties of merchantability or of fitness for a particular purpose.
--- End quote ---

Translated into standard English, this basically states that they don't claim their software can do anything. Period.

8)

bob99:

I recently read a phrase posted on a forum, may have been here somewhere, that has become the mantra of too many...
I think this is how they said it, 'admit nothing & deny everything.'
Miss the days of basic honesty and responsibility.  That's what's refreshing at DC.  The exception to the mantra.

tranglos:
The exception to the mantra.
-bob99 (May 12, 2009, 01:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's a seriously cool way to describe DC!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version