ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Tell me what your software DOESN'T do... (a rant)

<< < (2/5) > >>

tranglos:
Does Joomla use FCK? I have seen people having to resort to css word-wrap in other CMSes (/me not a Joomla user) whenever I have used a CMS I have switched off and done plain text.
-rgdot (May 11, 2009, 06:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

There is an FCK plugin, but out of the box Joomla uses TinyMCE. No matter, WYSIWYG is quite the dog. I've tried building a test site for just two small apps, with neat little pages like Features, Screenshots, Download, History, FAQ... After posting just two articles I knew I could never maintain a consistent layout of the pages using a WYSIWYG editor, arranging headers and paragraphs manually, nudging the lines... It was a prime instance of OMG LOL situation.

How did you know it was about the editor though? :) The editor is one of the problems. Another is that there is no usable plain text mode - the content is a single line of html code. If I'm going to cut and paste to an HTML editor, I can do a static site faster that way. Another thing is how there is no way to easily link to internal articles. You have to use http://www.example.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=26&Itemid=40 in the editor. Even with clean URLs it's awful, because if you reassign an article to another category, the links will go stale; I was hoping for something more wikified, I don't know. Again, it's easier to do a static site and link to "my-article.html" than use URLs like that.

And there's more, but I'm in the midst of writing a more coherent post, so I'll put this one on hold.

fenixproductions:
Dear mister generic developer, please tell me what your software does not do. Upfront-like. Thank you.-tranglos (May 11, 2009, 05:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think it will never happen. No one will ever point out all weaknesses of his software because it violates basic marketing rule: "our product is the best".

mouser:
I think it will never happen. No one will ever point out all weaknesses of his software
--- End quote ---
which is why it's a good idea of a feature to look for on review sites.

rgdot:
Does Joomla use FCK? I have seen people having to resort to css word-wrap in other CMSes (/me not a Joomla user) whenever I have used a CMS I have switched off and done plain text.
-rgdot (May 11, 2009, 06:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

There is an FCK plugin, but out of the box Joomla uses TinyMCE. No matter, WYSIWYG is quite the dog. I've tried building a test site for just two small apps, with neat little pages like Features, Screenshots, Download, History, FAQ... After posting just two articles I knew I could never maintain a consistent layout of the pages using a WYSIWYG editor, arranging headers and paragraphs manually, nudging the lines... It was a prime instance of OMG LOL situation.

How did you know it was about the editor though? :) The editor is one of the problems. Another is that there is no usable plain text mode - the content is a single line of html code. If I'm going to cut and paste to an HTML editor, I can do a static site faster that way. Another thing is how there is no way to easily link to internal articles. You have to use http://www.example.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=26&Itemid=40 in the editor. Even with clean URLs it's awful, because if you reassign an article to another category, the links will go stale; I was hoping for something more wikified, I don't know. Again, it's easier to do a static site and link to "my-article.html" than use URLs like that.

And there's more, but I'm in the midst of writing a more coherent post, so I'll put this one on hold.
-tranglos (May 11, 2009, 06:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

In my instance, the one I have most recent experience with, is CMS Made Simple. You are correct, it's TinyMCE and also FCK additionally. I may be wrong but from your description it seems CMSMS has something that Joomla doesn't.
Without going too off topic...the thing is I would use a CMS for it's power in achieving other things, like one example having multiple users (permissions system). I don't use it to "ease" coding, so I set up a template and then go about generating pages (inside CMSMS) using plain text areas without an editor (I turn off the editor in CMSMS). I hope that makes sense.

tsaint:
Tranglos,
 rather than thinking in terms of defeatist personalities (which sounds rather defeatist), I'd suggest you are talking about some personal, core HONESTY that you exhibit spontaneously.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version