topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 3:35 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Feature request: a real Start button?  (Read 6789 times)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Feature request: a real Start button?
« on: May 11, 2009, 06:08 AM »
A friend of mine recently asked me if it was possible to code a button for a deskbar that did nothing but mimic/duplicate the start button that is on the Windows taskbar. He wants it to show exactly what he sees when clicking his start button and include all the custom stuff he has added. (this is not program shortcuts added to the top, but non-default commands added to the bottom.) He also wants it to have the run, log off & shut down stuff...basically everything he has on the real one currently.

What he ultimately wants to do is remove the start button from the Windows taskbar, and have only the system tray and running application buttons showing on it.

Then he wants another toolbar to hold his start button and quicklaunch. He also wants to set a custom icon & text label for the start button. (amusing guy he is, he wants a red X and "Stop")

LBC could do exactly what he wants, provided it had an option to include a real start button.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Feature request: a real Start button?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 08:45 PM »
I missed this topic first time around, scary taskbar girl. Funny you should be the one asking about how to remove something from a taskbar.  :)

Anyway, if your friend is still wanting to do such, maybe PresStart v1.3 will do what he is looking for. It's written by the same guy who wrote TrueLaunchBar.

http://www.tordex.com/tools/

There are a few other tools on that page he might find useful as well.

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 09:31 PM »
I am not sure if you understood what I was saying.

I was making a feature request for mouser's Launchbar Commander. It would be perfect for this, if it had the start button, as described.

The application you linked to does nothing more than simulate a click (or hitting the windows key) to the existing start menu on the real taskbar. It does not open the menu from where the shortcut is on a different toolbar.

If the button is clicked on a toolbar located at the top of the screen, it shouldn't open something on a different toolbar located at the bottom.

Mouser has a "Start Menu" button in LBC, but it only shows the contents of the programs folder. It doesn't show the whole start menu.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 11:30 AM »
It's not that I didn't misread your feature request I just misremembered what that application I linked to did.

That's what I get for trying to save Mouser some work.  ;)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 06:15 PM »
a full start button emulation would indeed be useful.. not sure how hard it would be..

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 06:49 PM »
a full start button emulation would indeed be useful.. not sure how hard it would be..
Emulation would be kinda futile, since you'd have to emulate various OSes - or stick with a single OS, and possibly confuse users of later windows versions.

Making the real start menu pop up - that'd be something. But I have no idea whether it's possible to do that in a clean way :)
- carpe noctem

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 06:51 PM »
i should clarify -- i didn't mean to emulate the look per se, i just meant to recontruct the various submenus and items.
but you raise a different idea -- if it would be possible to pop up the normal Start Menu, but at a specific location on screen (and maybe force to Classic mode?).. anyone have any idea of a way to do this?

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 09:02 PM »
i should clarify -- i didn't mean to emulate the look per se, i just meant to recontruct the various submenus and items.

Not what I meant, since you could never include what you don't know someone has that's non-standard.

but you raise a different idea -- if it would be possible to pop up the normal Start Menu, but at a specific location on screen (and maybe force to Classic mode?).. anyone have any idea of a way to do this?

That is a lot more like what I meant. I'll see if the lazy coder that came up with the idea has any ideas on how to do it and pass on the info if he does.