topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:53 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Star Trek 2009 - Discussion [SPOILERS]  (Read 9188 times)

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Star Trek 2009 - Discussion [SPOILERS]
« on: May 11, 2009, 02:43 AM »
I consider myself a Star Trek fan. I really enjoyed this latest movie.
Spoiler
But...

WHAT THE FUCK DID THEY JUST DO!!!
DID THEY SERIOUSLY JUST KILL OFF THE ROMULANS IN THE FUTURE, AND THE VULCANS IN THE "PRESENT"?!?!

*ahem*

Anyway, Della and I had a discussion in the IRC channel, and it seems we agree on the retardedness of what happened in that movie. Most everyone I know though it was a great movie and that's that, so I was very pleased to hear her take on it.

So let us know what you thought about Star Trek 2009.

Ehtyar.

ENCLOSE ALL SPOILERS IN SPOILER TAGS!!
spoiler.png
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 02:50 AM by Ehtyar »

mediaguycouk

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Mediaguy
    • Donate to Member
Re: Star Trek 2009 - Discussion [SPOILERS]
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 02:54 AM »
Not really

Spoiler
as they said the second they worked out what had happened that they had created a second reality. The whole of the TOS and everything else happened in the original reality

I, however, don't consider myself a ST fan, however having a fiancée trekker I have seen most episodes.

P.S. I'm fairly sure forum etiquette doesn't need you to use spoiler tags when you have the word [Spoilers] in the title.
Learning C# - Graham Robinson

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 02:57 AM »
P.S. I'm fairly sure forum etiquette doesn't need you to use spoiler tags when you have the word [Spoilers] in the title.
-mediaguycouk (May 11, 2009, 02:54 AM)

Since some of us haven't seen the movie yet (and plan to), and some of use tools like PopUp Cody, please do as Ehtyar suggests and hide anything that could spoil it for people that haven't seen it yet (like me).  ;)

Thank you.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 02:59 AM by app103 »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 06:43 AM »
I saw it with an old friend, both of us are pretty big fans of star trek, though not trekkies/trekkers.  I thought it was flawed but quite good.  He hated it.

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 07:08 AM »
"Flawed, but quite good" - an effective way to describe it...

Ehtyar.

grapeshot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Media Lounge
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 12:21 PM »
I thought it was GREAT!  I'm a trekkie -- although not an obsessive one, and I had no trouble with the reboot.  After the dismal Voyager series, and the awful Enterprise series, I fully expected this movie to be lamer than lame.  But no, it was FUN to watch. 

I thought all the actors captured the essence of the characters without descending into simple mimicry, and I could easily see the older characters in these younger versions of themselves.  I don't mind seemingly minor story faults, (although there's less of them than you might think) and was happy to see a story that felt true to the spirit of the original series.  Heh, even the slightly lame villain seemed true to the original series. 

This movie recreated the original feeling that I had when I first saw the show, which was a feeling that I never thought I'd experience again.  I can't think when the last time was that I saw such an enjoyable movie.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana. - Groucho Marx

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 12:53 PM »
Not a bad film. It's entertaining.

Whoever was responsible for the set design does, however, deserve special credit. Especially for the interior stage sets, which are much better done than in any of the previous films. At long last the engineering sections of the ship actually look functional and to scale. Very nicely done overall. :up:

As far as story goes, the screenplay is moderately flawed (artistically and technically) in several places. It strongly believe could have been done a lot better. But even with the flaws, and occasional 'predictabilites,' it's still a decent action flick.

Maybe it's not good enough to rate a "Don't Miss" tag, but it's still good enough to be worth paying the $10 I did to see it up on the 'big screen.'

(Disclaimer: I'm neither a Trekkie nor a Trek fanboy - but I grew up with the series so I still retain a certain nostalgic fondness for the franchise.)

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 01:17 PM »
I enjoyed, I'd say the alt. reality business was to just give the freedom to plots of any future movies. You would make big enemies of the die hards who would be driven mad by the various contradictions setting your events within an already established, pretty obsessivly loved, universe.

Now fans have the characters they love in a whole new set of 'adventures' and newcomers don't have to know the eniter backstory to be able to just pickup and enjoy the movies for what they are.

A wish decision I think.

darklight_tr

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 04:38 PM »
I would rate the movie a B+ overall, but a C- for cinematography and a C for "Trekiness".

I am getting very sick of the constant movement ("shaky cam") and rapid angle/scene changes Hollywood is now using to "spice up" the action.  It doesn't make it more exciting at all, it just makes it almost impossible to follow the action unless you can watch the scene 3 to 4 times!  >:(  Also, I would have liked them to have zoomed out a bit more.  Almost the entire movie takes place from a close up perspective.

and...

Spoiler
  • HOW THE HELL CAN THEY JUST TOSS 40 YEARS OF TREK TO THE WIND!  GOD DAMMIT!  :Ahem:  I'm better now.
  • Ugh, time travel, especially when it creates paradoxes is very hard to write.  The "big reveal" of how Nero and Spock came to the time the movie takes place was just lame.  Supernova, Red Matter, WTF!?!
I could go on...but there's no need. :D

I would say it is flawed but good.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 04:39 PM by darklight_tr »

sazzen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 09:01 AM »
I am a Star Trek lover. Always was. Always will be. My expectations of this movie, however, were so low, I didn't want to bother seeing it. Nothing else was on. I went to see it. Flawed? Sure. But I was seriously entertained. What else is a movie for?  Popcorn was good too.