ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

INfix: easy, capable, but expensive WordPad-like PDF editor

<< < (7/12) > >>

steeladept:
@steeladept: There's a feature comparison matrix for the different versions of PDF Converter here: http://www.nuance.com/imaging/pdfconverter/comparison/pdf-family-compatibility-features.asp. I don't have any experience with the other versions, so don't know if I would miss any of the Pro features if I were using the regular version.
-Darwin (May 28, 2009, 10:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry, I will try to be more specific.  :-[  I was talking about the difference between Standard and Pro versions of INfix.  Their website is very general about it and it's comparison matrix does not specify between the two and their competitors.

Curt:
Editing Products

Infix - seamless editing of PDF text, search & replace, plus a host of other facilties
Infix Pro - Search & replace across files plus integration with Infix Server
Infix Server - high-volume PDF editing and imposition for production environments.

--- End quote ---

They say:

Simply Edit Any PDF

Most PDFs just contain fragments of text - just a few words at a time. Other PDF editors allow you to edit each fragment individually.

Infix is the only PDF editor that intelligently re-creates the original content so that you can edit it in the way you would expect. It uses a set of intelligent algorithms to recreate the original structure of the document. This means you can edit a PDF just like you would a Word document.

Nothing comes close to Infix in the arena of PDF editing! Try it and you will agree!
(- the download link is for the standard version, for Windows.)
--- End quote ---
- but I haven't yet been able to reproduce such search & replace. Maybe because the file I was using, originally was OCR scanned. I must remember to test this feature more thoroughly. Maybe in the week-end.

Curt:
I found something that claims to do multiple search-and-replace within PDFs: PDF Text Replace Tool but it needs both MS Framework 2.0 and Visual C++ , and costs $49.  I was baffled by the Visual C++ requirement, which only appears when you try to install it, it's not obvious on the Web site.  Because I don't have Visual C++ and don't know what's involved in it, I didn't proceed any further.-rjbull (May 28, 2009, 10:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

The good part is that PDF Text Replace Tool can be integrated with your own application. See http://pdfmagus.com/index.php?pageid=40&sid=0&l=1

mwb1100:
Coming up on BitsDuJour is a PDF editor called e-PDF: http://www.bitsdujour.com/software/e-pdf/

I haven't downloaded or tried this, but if it's half decent, the $10 price might be worthwhile (heck, even at its $20 regular price it might be worthwhile).

tomos:
. . but I wasn't going to pay so much over the odds just because I live in the UK.  It's a connected world now, and Nuance and other vendors will have to accept that.  I bought a license for Able2Extract instead.
-rjbull (May 28, 2009, 10:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

you should let them know so they might change their ways . .

[edit] more of the same:
I'm looking at an upgrade to Illustrator - it's 40% more expensive in Europe than in US - and that's not even including tax :( (another 20% on top of that waaah)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version