ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

INfix: easy, capable, but expensive WordPad-like PDF editor

(1/12) > >>

Curt:
For some years I have been looking for an editor for my PDF collection, but so far I really haven't found the one to love. I've purchased a couple of the kind, but I get confused every time I try to use them! It is as if the authors were thinking that in order for their program to handle a Adobe product their program must also look like a Adobe product! But such interface is confusing to my micro soft brain! I've learned from childhood that an editor looks like NotePad, WordPad or Word. Period! So why the heck has the PDF business developed a quite different User's Interface?  :mad: 

Well, today I was informed by SnapFiles Pro that "Infix PDF Editor" was updated. I knew nothing about such program, so I read on, and was also told that the program is $99 for the Standard version and $299 for a PRO version!! I was wondering if I would bother to check out a program that I knew I cannot purchase ($99~$299 !?!), but curiosity killed the cat, didn't it, so now I am testing the bucker!

INfix does NOT look like a $100 program! My first impression was like "is that all, for $99??", because it really doesn't look like more than a WordPad. But that is exactly the very point! It is an editor that is totally familiar from the first second! If you ever have edited a Rich Text file you will immediately know how to use this editor! And this is what I love about it, it is sooo NOT confusing to me! Not because there are no features, on the contrary, INfix is VERY capable (see my second photo), but because it is well-known and all the features are hidden inside the menu, instead of the usual show-off chaos on the toolbars.

Of course my second action was to open a PDF file. I managed to open one that had a typo in the first paragraph. I placed the cursor and edited, as if I was working in WordPad. For the very first time I feel totally certain how to edit a PDF file!  :up:

Compare with a few others (http://www.iceni.com/infix3_competition.htm):

INfix: easy, capable, but expensive WordPad-like PDF editor

The homepage has a very fine series of video manuals and instructions, Click on any of the listed features to see short Flash movies demonstrating their use.

INfix is not impressive to look at, but it really is very capable and totally easy. I am really looking forward to test it further for some time, and if I don't mind watermarks it seems I won't even have to purchase it!(?)

Did you ever use INfix??  :tellme:  Do you find it competitive at this asking price?

mwb1100:
Hey Curt - thanks for the pointer. This looks quite interesting, even if $99 is a bit more than I can justify for PDF editing (I don't have too much need, so the various PDF printers are pretty much good enough for me).  However, I might keep an eye out for if it ever goes on discount somewhere...

And by the way Curt, it looks like with just a little bit more you could turn this into a very nice mini-review.

Curt:
with just a little bit more you could turn this into a very nice mini-review.
-mwb1100 (May 09, 2009, 05:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

I was aware of this but I was so excited with INfix that I couldn't wait for proper testing before I posted  ;)

longrun:
I haven't tried it and don't know if the interface would please you, but PagePlus X2 (older version of PagePlus) seems to be able to edit PDF's and is available for $20:

"Improved PDF Import - PagePlus X2 improves on the already impressive PDF Import feature first added in PagePlus 11. This amazing functionality - still unique in any DTP product at any price has been enhanced even further so that your PDFs will import more accurately than ever. PagePlus X2 will now import embedded fonts from your original PDF, even if you don't have them installed, so you can be confident that your design will closely match the original - and you can still edit PDFs with more flexibility than in any other application!"

The product doesn't seem to be on Serif's website any longer (replaced by X3), but I can provide a link to an order form that's prefilled with my name and address. Presumably you could just replace with your own info. (I'm not an affiliate or anything; I just have a saved email from a while back).

Curt:
PagePlus X2 is still listed at £49.99 at their homepage, so $20 is a very fine price, I would say.  :up:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version