ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

INfix: easy, capable, but expensive WordPad-like PDF editor

<< < (6/12) > >>

Curt:
- then Infix definite is too expensive!

wraith808:
I am surprised that noone has mentionned OpenOffice
-elpresi (May 12, 2009, 06:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

- you really shouldn't be surprised, because this thread is about a pdf EDITOR.
-Curt (May 12, 2009, 06:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, can you import a PDF file, edit it, and export it again and get an edited PDF no muss, no fuss?

steeladept:
Maybe I am missing something, but this doesn't seem too expensive to me for everything it does.  Adobe Acrobat costs MUCH more and does less from what I see and hear.  If you need Acrobat, this may well be the best thing going...

Just out of curiosity, how does the standard version compare to the Professional?  What additional items does Pro offer, or haven't you tested that one?

rjbull:
Yup - PagePlus X3 will search and replace (ctrl-H) within the text of a pdf file (provided the text is not part of an image).-Darwin (May 28, 2009, 08:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's potentially invaluable.  Thanks for the research!  PagePlus does so many other things I wasn't sure I'd want to bother with it, even though it's a bit cheaper than InFix.

X3 does offer to open pdf's by default (ie pdfs are listed as PagePlus files in the Open dialogue) but once a pdf is selected to be opened, it is imported as mentioned above. To save as a pdf you have to select "Publish as PDF" from the File menu.

--- End quote ---

You said import was a little kludgy.  That could be a problem, but the PDFs I have to edit are (at least, look) simple in form, mostly text with a few small graphics.  Can you print direct from the ppp file?  If so, then you could print to any PDF printer.

I found something that claims to do multiple search-and-replace within PDFs: PDF Text Replace Tool but it needs both MS Framework 2.0 and Visual C++ , and costs $49.  I was baffled by the Visual C++ requirement, which only appears when you try to install it, it's not obvious on the Web site.  Because I don't have Visual C++ and don't know what's involved in it, I didn't proceed any further.

Nuance annoyed me.  I live in the UK.  I went to their "Buy Now" page, which says the price is US$99.99, about GB£62.5, then changed the country to UK.  The price turned into £99.99 - which is over $159  >:(  Admittedly that includes tax at (currently) about 15%, making the price more like £85 or $136, but I wasn't going to pay so much over the odds just because I live in the UK.  It's a connected world now, and Nuance and other vendors will have to accept that.  I bought a license for Able2Extract instead.

Darwin:
Nuance annoyed me.  I live in the UK.  I went to their "Buy Now" page, which says the price is US$99.99, about GB£62.5, then changed the country to UK.  The price turned into £99.99 - which is over $159  >:(  Admittedly that includes tax at (currently) about 15%, making the price more like £85 or $136, but I wasn't going to pay so much over the odds just because I live in the UK.  It's a connected world now, and Nuance and other vendors will have to accept that.  I bought a license for Able2Extract instead.
-rjbull (May 28, 2009, 10:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

This kind of thing infuriates me as well. It's not too bad if the vendor will allow you to process an order in US dollars, but when a store, such as Nuances (is it Digital River - can't remember) insists on charging you in the currency of the country that the credit card is from it's very irritating.

@steeladept: There's a feature comparison matrix for the different versions of PDF Converter here: http://www.nuance.com/imaging/pdfconverter/comparison/pdf-family-compatibility-features.asp. I don't have any experience with the other versions, so don't know if I would miss any of the Pro features if I were using the regular version.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version