topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:57 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Looking for LetmeType alike  (Read 4210 times)

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Looking for LetmeType alike
« on: May 08, 2009, 10:05 PM »
Hi

I love LetmeType is awesome but the only problem is that it does not have export feature. I was wondering if there are any apps that gets close to LMT as far as learning and efficiency skills go. I tried Phrase Express but I did not think that it was learning anything at all. It is ok for predefined stuff but LMT just rocks all the way up.

Any suggestions? (freeware, shareware...)

imtrobin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Looking for LetmeType alike
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 05:52 AM »
http://www.sumitsoft.com/
http://www.flashpeak.com/icomp/

Flash Peak is better in productivity, but more buggy and stooped development.

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 05:57 AM »
2kartal
I had tried mentioned two in the past and abandoned them like you. LMT was all wrong for me because it had no national characters support. I understand that Unicode is complex but ANSI? Come on! It had problems with special Polish characters. Sometimes it was even crashing because of that but... it was long ago and I've never bothered to report that issue. I knew I would not buy it so what for?

Little bit later I was trying to use PE but it failed because of no memory at all. Like you said: it couldn't learn anything.

Now I am using TypingAssistant and I am happy with it.

I might not be reliable at this point because I've gained free key (thx to translation, bug reports and ideas) but I think you should take a look at least.

It doesn't have "Export" feature but that is not a problem because:
- its dictionaries are just plain text Unicode files; you can open it in any text editor to get nice list of words,
- author is opened to any suggestions; he implemented many of those I had sent him in couple of days :)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 05:59 AM by fenixproductions »

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 12:58 PM »
fenixproductions,

I like PE only because you can create menus and submenus which is nice. Other than that I have found it to be buggy in certain occasions and certain characters are overlooked in the setup. For example you cannot assign certain types for executor etc. The other thing is that if you setup a menu and call words from the menu you need to use the executor character again, I could not use enter or use numbers to call from the list(like LMT) which I thought was limiting/

I do not have alot of time to try these stuff at this minute, I hope you do not mind answering couple extra stuff.

-I am especially looking for learning features. DO you think Typing assistant auto learning is supreme?
-Can you limit to certain apps?
-Can you import text files to create or expand word a library? I am hoping that the text analyzing feature( if there is ) is smart=, meaning that it can recognize words that are within "", (), [] etc
-Does it offer menu creation?

The reason I am looking for a good learner one is that I want to use for coding, I use some apps for scriptiung and their scripting sytax are not well documented and hard to find syntax libraries, so learning skill is crucial to me. Otherwise IO can just use AHK to build up my hotstring library which is dead simple.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 01:12 PM »
Ok I just went ahead and tried it. I am not happy with TA at the moment. I am definetely going to compare against LMT.

So I typed hello multiple times. It seemed to show up in its autolearn window however it is not offered next time I typed"hel". I typed another word couple times then I checked autolearn window and the word "hello" was gone and this new word has replaced "hello" it seems like there can be only one word at a time in the autolearn window which sounds utterly silly, there needs to be a way.

Also its english suggestion list is plain horrible to me based on my initial simple test.

And after couple of mins I got a crash out of  blue.

As I said I just do not have alot of time to try the stuff because I am in the middle of a task, I know it is not fair to test it in couple mins but this stuff is supposed to work deadsimple and should produce good results within simple examples like word "hello"

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 01:27 PM »
2kartal
I don't know will my answers satisfy you but I'll try my best to do so :)

-I am especially looking for learning features. DO you think Typing assistant auto learning is supreme?
-kartal

This is something you should check by yourself (there is 21 days trial). I've only tried couple applications and found that TA suits me the best but it's hard to me to say why.

Although one thing was perfect match for me: "words exceptions" where you can simply define which words will never be remembered. It was bothersome that some apps remembered my passwords.

-Can you limit to certain apps?
-kartal

Yes. You can choose one of the following modes: either add applications where it should work (the rest will be prohibited) or define where it should not be used (switching off all the rest).

-Can you import text files to create or expand word a library? I am hoping that the text analysing feature( if there is ) is smart=, meaning that it can recognize words that are within "", (), [] etc
-kartal

There is no "Import" feature. Instead, you can "Add" works by Ctrl+V and analysing. Do I understand correctly that you want brackets and quotes removed and have only words imported? For such case, quick test shown me no problems.

-Does it offer menu creation?
-kartal

Unfortunately, no.

The reason I am looking for a good learner one is that I want to use for coding, I use some apps for scripting and their scripting sytax are not well documented and hard to find syntax libraries, so learning skill is crucial to me. Otherwise IO can just use AHK to build up my hotstring library which is dead simple.
-kartal

There is no full scripting in it yet but I hope for the future. On the other hand: I had no need for it and built-in "Auto-Expand" feature was good enough for me.

Edited: Ehhh too late…
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 01:29 PM by fenixproductions »