ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Would you recommend friends to use XP or Vista?

(1/6) > >>

NewsAndHistory:
Would any of you tell me if XP is worst than Vista, in your opinion (and/or from your experience)? I would like to know whether Vista is easy for end-users to configure (and close backdoors). Since the NSA helped make both operating systems, I've found it difficult to find any "good reason" to download Microsoft's latest operating systems, but I have a PC, and I don't think Linux is any better than Windows XP, Vista, and 7.

Please make your case for any of the Windows operating systems you would recommend to any of your friends. I need honest opinions & tips about how to make the system secure.

hpearce:
At this point, I would recommend people wait for Windows 7.

40hz:
Here's what I tell my friends:

1. If you are currently running XP, stick with it until you decide you need to switch to Windows 7. This late in the game there's no point in migrating to Vista if you haven't already done so.

2. If you are currently running Vista, switch to Windows 7 when it become available.

For good reasons and bad, Vista is now a 'lame duck' release. The past and 'near term' belong to XP. The future belongs to Windows 7. There's no real place for Vista in that scenario.

I'd suggest waiting about 3-4 months after Windows 7 gets released to let the inevitable "early release issues" get worked out.

----

Re: Easy for end-users

Every OS has a learning curve. The sooner an end-user stops hoping for a "no brain" OS the better. Because no matter how "easy" it is intended to be, they'll still have to learn how to use it.

Re: Linux

I happen to use Linux and I like it very much. That being said, you are correct in saying it is not any 'better' than any other operating system. Each OS brings specific advantages and benefits to the party. And each has its own quirks, annoyances, and design flaws. In the end, your choice of OS should be determined by what you're most comfortable using, provided it gets your work done.

Re: downloading Microsoft's latest

Assuming you mean Windows 7, I only know five reasons why most people would want to download a Windows release candidate:

* They're curious about it (possibly the best reason of all)
* They want to get a head start on using it so they'll be ready (and able to help their friends) when it comes out
* They enjoy testing new products and hope to make suggestions for improving it
* They want to accrue "geek bragging rights" for being in on the beta of a major product release
* They absolutely hate Microsoft -and they're hoping to find a show-stopper flaw that will derail the whole thing and make the boys in Redmond look like a bunch of idiots. (This is possibly the worst reason of all, but there are people like that out there.)
If your friends don't subscribe to any of the above, they shouldn't bother.

Just my 2ยข :)

mouser:
1. If you are currently running XP, stick with it until you decide you need to switch to Windows 7. This late in the game there's no point in migrating to Vista if you haven't already done so.

2. If you are currently running Vista, switch to Windows 7 when it become available.
--- End quote ---

40hz advice above seems right on the money to me.

however, it doesn't quite tell you what to tell someone who is considering a new system and doesn't know whether to use vista or xp.  i am still using xp pro, but i suppose i would tell a new pc buyer to just not worry about it and use whatever of the 2 (vista or xp) comes pre-loaded, and keep your eye open for windows 7 when it is ready.

40hz:
however, it doesn't quite tell you what to tell someone who is considering a new system and doesn't know whether to use vista or xp.
-mouser (May 08, 2009, 07:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ooooo...excellent point! In that case, buy Vista with an XP downgrade option - and run XP.

However, I'd also advise them to put off buying a new system (if at all possible) until either:

* Windows 7 has been released - or -

* The purchase date would make them eligible for a free upgrade to Windows 7
Last I heard, Microsoft was considering giving free Win 7 upgrades to people who bought new machines on/after July 1, 2009 - but the actual date and details had not been finalized by Microsoft.

Some manufacturers said they planned to offer their own free upgrade program to entice people who are currently holding off on buying a new machine to not wait until July to do so.

Best bet is to check with the people you're buying a machine from to see what they can do for you on that score.

And make sure you get it in writing! ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version