topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:52 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Confessions of a Freeware Junkie updates their list of recommended freeware  (Read 9944 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Worth a read, concise list of recommended everyday freeware tools from someone who knows his stuff:

Note that this is a list that I recommend for every baseline installation...I will recommend various specialty applications over the course of my musings, but this is something that I believe everyone should install. Enjoy - every product here is one that I use or have used.

ayryq

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I use several tools on this list, but I disagree with several as well. I've always installed CutePDF rather than PDFCreator, for example, and I find VLC terrible for watching physical DVDs. I've posted my preferences for CD Burning in another thread (ImgBurn and Burrrrn). I don't think I would say that "every baseline installation" requires Remote Control, VPN, screenshot, GIMP... And, I'm curious what addons his "baseline installation" of firefox would include.

Mostly, I'm posting to remind everyone of Softpedia's recent removal of Comodo software (which I use):
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Comodo-Software-Removed-From-Softpedia-110169.shtml

Eric

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The problem with any such list is that it depends on personal preferences. For example I much prefer Xnview to Irfanview. Both are great but I prefer Xnview's browser to Irfanview's. Again, personal preference only.

I like to read these lists solely to find new software that I might not have heard about.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Nice list, personally not a fan of GIMP or CCleaner for example but it's just preference of course

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
The problem with any such list is that it depends on personal preferences... I like to read these lists solely to find new software that I might not have heard about.

i think this is exactly they way to view such lists.. don't take them as clear indications that one program is better than another -- take them as a list of programs that are worth trying and comparing to the ones you currently use, or as suggestions for types of programs you didn't know you needed.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
agreed these types of list are not definitive, they are more like a guide, however quite an informative list.

saintsatinstain

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

I use these kinds of lists to learn about programs I do not know.

I wonder why SeaMonkey is seldom used or mentioned.   

I used Firefox, Thunderbird, Kompozer, and Lightning, but find that SeaMonkey is best for me because I write poems, essays, blog,  research.
Firefox and Thunderbird are superb,
but all in one SeaMonkey I find best as the core of  my 'office suite,'  along with Jarte, Foxit Reader, WordWeb, Mobysaurus Thesaurus, Convert, Fried Babelfish, and Copernic Desktop Search 2.

I've just downloaded PDFCreator to add to my 'office suite.'
saint satin stain
Qui bibit, dormit; qui dormit, non peccat; qui non peccat, sanctus est; ergo qui bibit sanctus est.

You cannot save people, you can only love them.
       The Diary Of Anais Nin, Volume Two (1934-1939)

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Freeware Junkie is network-savvy
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 03:17 PM »
Hi Folks,

Just as an aside, freewarejunkie is very good on freeware network administration tools, with an article about Spiceworks and a general article :

Are you a network admin? What do you use from day to day?
http://thefreewareju...#c863777031194228344

Shalom,
Steven

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Just as an aside, freewarejunkie is very good on freeware network administration tools
-Steven Avery (June 02, 2009, 03:17 PM)

Excellent article. He hits on most of the favorites. Bringing Spiceworks IT Desktop to the attention of those "in the trade" as well as "those who want to be" is worth its weight in gold. I'm a big fan of Spiceworks. In my company, Spiceworks makes the difference between partial and complete insanity during busy times.

If you provide IT tech support, get familiar with Spiceworks. One of the best tools out there.

The other hidden gem is Spotlight on Windows.  It's easy to dismiss this app as a pile of eye-candy, thereby missing out on what a powerful monitoring tool it actually is. We have this product running on just about every server we're responsible for. It provides our clients with a quick heads-up on the status of their servers. And it also gives the management types (who sign the checks) something pretty to look at when they're walking their fellow managers through the Computer Room.

Spotlight on Windows may even get your company some new business. We've had queries as to how much it would cost to acquire "one of those Spotlight Server things."  Some people actually think it's a whole new server product. ;D

(Note: Please be ethical and tell them the truth. ;))

8)