ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

RAMdisk on XP 32bit - brainstorming!

<< < (4/9) > >>

Nod5:
edbro: nice, I'm adding that to the list above. Do you know if it can use memory above 3.x GB in XP 32bit? The homepage and manual doesn't say anything about that so my guess is "no".

Cloq:
I have been using Qsoft RAMDisk Enterprise edition for years now.

XP 32bit and more recently, on vista 64bit.

Current usage: 2GB ramdisk.
Ramdisk holds my pagefile 1.5 GB and my firefox cache and yes I do notice a difference in speed and less HD thrashing.

4wd:
edbro: nice, I'm adding that to the list above. Do you know if it can use memory above 3.x GB in XP 32bit? The homepage and manual doesn't say anything about that so my guess is "no".-Nod5 (May 11, 2009, 04:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

In the manual:
FAT     - Max 2GB
FAT32 - Max 4GB
NTFS   - Max. supported by the OS
--- End quote ---

These are filesystem limitations and wrt. NTFS, the maximum RAM supported by Windows 32bit is 3.x GB.  So I'd say definitely not.

Of course, the easy way to find out is probably just do 'My Computer->Properties' and see if Physical Address Extension appears under the amount of RAM - my take is that has to be enabled via the /PAE switch before any type of RamDisk will use the full 4GB.

f0dder, you have SuperSpeed - does it add that switch or use some other nefarious means ?

The main reason I like it is because it will automatically save the disk image at shudown or whenever you specify.-edbro (May 11, 2009, 01:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

Good point, I was wondering how I could update my Firefox profile but I believe I could accomplish this using RoboCopy in the Logon/Logoff script area of Windows, (or perhaps SyncBackSE since it's running all the time).

f0dder:
Ramdisk holds my pagefile 1.5 GB and my firefox cache and yes I do notice a difference in speed and less HD thrashing.-Cloq (May 11, 2009, 09:37 PM)
--- End quote ---
It's silly putting pagefile on the ramdisk - instead, make the ramdisk smaller and turn off the pagefile completely.

f0dder, you have SuperSpeed - does it add that switch or use some other nefarious means ?-4wd (May 11, 2009, 10:32 PM)
--- End quote ---
Wouldn't know, as I run 64bit XP :). I thought the default for 32bit Windows was running in PAE mode if the CPU supports it, since that's a requirement for getting hardware no-execute page protection support... you definitely do need to be operating in PAE mode to access high physical RAM in 32bit mode.

Nod5:
My Win XP pro 32bit runs in PAE mode. I've not activated that manually and I think it was active even before I started trying out these ramdisk programs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version