ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

Need help with running FARR in portable mode on a USB drive

(1/5) > >>

apurvarc:
Hi everyone,

I am having some trouble using FARR off a USB stick. I have looked at configdir.in and the comment in the file says that the default mode (all lines commented) the settings are saved in the directory of the application. When I run FARR on my winXP box, (computer 1) all seems fine, when I add a directory to be searched, FARR updates the FindAndRunRobot.ini in the application dir on the USB. But when I plug it into my Vista box (Computer 2), it seems to pick up settings from somewhere else on that computer cuz the settings (directories added to the search list for example ) are different. Is there a way of figuring out which settings ini file is currently being used?

Now when I un-comment the line which says " CONFIGDIR = . " Then both computers use the same settings, however, my History list is completely cleared when I switch computers. While this might be intentional, as the search history may save links to the local applications which might not be available on other computers, But in a portable mode scenario I use FARR to launch only 'Relative' applications (i.e. portable apps in the same drive as FARR) In which case, loosing history every time is quite an issue. It means that FARR is essentially unlearning my most opened apps list every time.

Would really appreciate any pointers on How I can achieve compelte portability mode, and have my history saved across machines

mouser:
sounds like you figured out the hard part, the configdir file -- as you found out, in vista the default location for options files is the users documents directory, so you need to set the "CONFIGDIR = ." line.  you should also uncomment the new PORTABLE line near the bottom, which will make FARR only save license key info to the current directory.

you're point about the history list is getting cleared is one i didn't think of -- it's because of the drive letter changes confusing FARR.  I can fix this however -- i'll put it on my todo list to make it adjust drive letters of the history list items instead of clearing them.  i should have a new version up by monday.

apurvarc:
you should also uncomment the new PORTABLE line near the bottom, which will make FARR only save license key info to the current directory.
-mouser (May 08, 2009, 08:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

I didnt quite get that. Which line are you talking about? The last line in the configdir.ini file says "//    "E:\MyCleverSettings" -> "E:\MyCleverSettings\DonationCoder\AppName\""

Am I missing a line in my ini file? Also I'd like to store all settings on my USB not just the license file ...

About the history, would it be possible to store the history of relative applications, relatively? Meaning,  if the app is launched from the FARRDRIVE then could FARR store the history as a \path\app.exe instead of X:\path\app.exe ?

A thing to note as well is that my ENTIRE history is cleared, not just the relative ones. Meaning, say I have Firefox installed on both computers, in exactly the same location (Program Files) and I launch firefox on one computer, and then plugin to my other computer, the history is still cleared.

Thanks for the quick support as usual!  :Thmbsup:

mouser:
i probably didnt update the configdir.ini with FARR (i will now) but it doesn't really matter -- here is the new bottom of the file:

--- ---// NEW:
//  You can now signify that an app should run in portable mode (no files saved to anything but app dir)
//  by specifying the uncommented line:
//   PORTABLE=TRUE
so basically just add to your configdir file anywhere you want:
PORTABLE=TRUE

mouser:
About the history, would it be possible to store the history of relative applications, relatively? Meaning,  if the app is launched from the FARRDRIVE then could FARR store the history as a \path\app.exe instead of X:\path\app.exe ?
--- End quote ---

that's not a bad idea -- i'll see if i can do it that way -- the effect should be pretty much the same though.  either way i'll make it so the history doesn't get lost.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version