ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is Windows 7 RC spyware?

(1/2) > >>

xtabber:
The FAQ for Windows 7 RC on the Microsoft download site states that there is no need for users to report to Microsoft on their experiences in using W7RC because it collects a variety of data and automatically sends it back to Microsoft for analysis (MS refers to this as "Telemetry).

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/faq.aspx

The Windows 7 RC Privacy Statement is the usual boilerplate that says Microsoft can use this information for just about anything it wants, and can change the rules just by posting updates on its web site. A supplement provides a long laundry list of details and links on specific items that would take a good size law firm to fully analyze, but I did not see any explicit summary of the information collected nor any indication as to whether it is possible to turn off this "feature" altogether.

This sure sounds like spyware to me.

rgdot:
I know this requires more than a one or two line reply but seriously...this is not any less trustworthy than before, anything from Windows Update to countless other things require and gather snapshots of computer configs, state of particular applications, etc. The fact that TOS, EULA or privacy statements are not unambiguous is not new.

Josh:
I really don't consider it spyware because it is a release candidate. This is not a final release of an OS designed to be distributed to millions who will pay for it. You are receiving this for free on the terms of the consumer preview program which allows you to test the operating system. If you don't like it reporting on you, don't install it. Microsoft does not attempt to hide this fact and it is clearly stated on their FAQ page. It's designed to help MS fix the product.

Also,

When you run Windows 7 RC we'll collect information in case we need to contact you about Windows 7 RC. We will also collect automated reporting feedback from PCs running the OS to help collectively analyze issues and file bug reports where appropriate. For a complete explanation of what we'll collect and how we'll use it, please read the Windows 7 RC privacy statement. -Microsoft.com
--- End quote ---

The privacy statement can be found here

Eóin:
Perhaps I've gone cynical, but I'm come to the conclusion that pretty much everything I interact with might be reporting back on me. So the few pieces of software which actually acknowledge they do so only makes me respect them more.

Trusting anything these days seem naive.

Carol Haynes:
Even if your software isn't reporting on you your ISP probably is and even ananoymizer services are now disclosing information to government agencies.

Democracy - you have to love it!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version