ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Do you use ac'tivAid? Which extensions?

(1/4) > >>

ayryq:
I'm been playing with ac'tivAid, from (http://www.heise.de/ct/activaid/default_en.shtml), which is a set of very useful ahk scripts. I'm curious if others use this set (it's hardly been mentioned on this forum) and if so, what extensions you find useful.
I currently have enabled:

* ComfortDrag (When dragging a file, right click hides a window without letting go of left mouse button)
* ComfortResize (Right+left click+drag anywhere on a window causes resize (e.g. chordclickdrag in the top left quadrant resizes as if you had clickdragged from the top left window border)
* DriveIcons (adds an icon for any drive with media to your desktop like linux/mac. I actually have it add to a quick launch-type toolbar on my windows taskbar. This makes disabling autorun quite feasible.)
* NewFolder (use a hotkey to create a new folder in Windows Explorer. I've got this mapped to F7, same as WinSCP.)
* PastePlain (Win+V pastes without formatting)
* RemapKeys (Turns CapsLock into an extra shift key)
* Surrounder (Highlight some text and hit a quote, parenthesis, bracket, etc. and it will enclose the selection rather than replacing it.)
Eric

nite_monkey:
Some of those sound pretty good. I'll have to try it out when I get home.

lanux128:
i came across ac'tivAid some time back but it was in German only, no English readme was available. i had to read through the code to figure out what was the script about. now that they're in English as well, it's a good time to take a look again.

ayryq:
I have one-at-a-time turned off the extensions I was using until I'm down to two:
RemapKeys (turn CapsLock into Shift) and
DriveIcons (dynamically add shortcut icons to currently-available drives to an arbitrary folder)

I just found a AHK script at lifehacker which will let me disable the RemapKeys. At this point it seems weird to run the whole ac'tivAid application for the one drive-icons script. Has anyone written an AHK script to do this? Ac'tivAid is all AHK so it may be possible to reverse-engineer one from the script included (which seems to have a lot of code supporting the ac'tivAid interface and options). The important thing to me is support of an arbitrary folder... several tray apps exist which stick icons on the desktop like a Mac, but I put them in a custom "toolbar" folder for the windows task bar.

Eric

Tuxman:
Meanwhile, the original ac'tivAid author abandoned his project. It is continued by Michael Telgkamp, if anyone is interested... I've been using ac'tivAid since v0.9x, it didn't even have a GUI back then.

:-*

On topic:
I currently use these:

* AutoShutdown
Win+Q to shut down now or in a couple of minutes is one of the essential things for me, especially when I'm in a hurry.
* FileRenamer
Yep, most file managers do this. But this one does everything I need. So why should I use something other?
* HotStrings
Currently only used for fun, but sometimes I use it for serious stuff, like automatically replacing "rg" with "Regards, <name>".
* LeoTooltip
As you might know, English is not my native language. Sometimes I need to look up a word here to talk to you. Pressing a shortcut is the easiest way for that, right?
* NewFolder
Again, most file managers already know a hotkey to create a new folder. However, this extension has some nice additions like automatically creating subfolders and moving selected files there instantly.
* QuickNote
Why should I use Notepad for that?
* RemapKeys
CapsLock be gone!
* UserHotkeys
My command prompt is on Ctrl-Alt-Space, my scanner on Win+S. It really improves my computer usage.
* Volume Control
(Stupid loudness war.)
* WindowsControl
Most things can also be done with tools like the Actual Window Manager. But they aren't free.  :-*

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version