topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:02 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Timed Auto Capture  (Read 16881 times)

esensei

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Timed Auto Capture
« on: December 14, 2005, 11:11 PM »
Great product! Recently started using SC and having trouble with what I'm most interested in - having sc take a snapshop every 1 second, for about 30 minutes.
My problem seems to be just getting it started. I can do a single shot but can't figure out how to set it up to auto capture when I want it to.
Thanks for any help!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Timed Auto Capture
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 11:17 PM »
keep in mind that there are much better programs designed for making movies of the screen.

but to answer your question:
go to the "On Capture" tab in the preferences and set the auto capture timer details (rate: 1s, stop after 1800,type=screen).

then close settings and minimize the screenshot captor window.  now right click on the screenshot captor try icon and select "Engage Auto Capture Timer".   To stop it, go to the tray menu and disable.

i really do need to update the help file with all of the changes that have been added recently.

esensei

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 11:46 PM »
Ahah! The icon in the task bar! I set the options, as you said, but was trying to run the software from the usual window rather than right-clicking on the tray icon. Thanks!!
Next, if you don't mind, I'm a phd student, now looking at how exactly people search for specific info online - which I need to record. That's what I'm suing SC for. If there is something better for that, that is freeware, I would appreciate it if someone would recommend something good. I just need to record their searches, maybe also run a keylogger (not a big problem there) - of course with their knowledge.
Cheers

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 12:27 AM »
your best bet might be to use a screencasting tool; we did a major review of them here:
https://www.donation...enCasting/index.html

these are normally used to make demo movie, but the advantage in your case would be that it would be ideal for playing back.  bb flashback has some nice things for adjusting speed and does a great job of low-bandwidth recording, so that might be your best bet. though its not free.

these tools will record exactly what keys user presses as well so you can see them interacting; and they will export movies so it seems to be they would be what you want.

a free similar tool is camstudio:  http://www.camstudio.org/

esensei

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2005, 05:50 PM »
That's maybe a better option. I tried out camstudio, for several hours, can't get it to work well with a long (over 10 mins) recording. I'll look around for another, but it's good to have SC to fall back on. Cheers

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 07:57 PM »
you should definitely check out bb flashback; they are offering a 50% discount to our members as well.

victorrr

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2006, 06:06 AM »
I just started using the program and so far think it's great.  I do have one small problem.  Is there a way to assign a hot key for the auto timer capture so that it can be disabled easier?  I have it set to one second capture and it captures fast like I want but it's also very hard to get it to stop.  I actually had to use the task manager to kill it because when I went to the icon in the tray it kept capturing it's own tray pop-up menu.  It's doing it's job but I would really appreciate some help with this.

Thanks,
vic

fabiogaldez

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 12:31 PM »
I am trying select "ENGAGE AUTO CAPTURE TIMER" at startup, automatically, without click on system tray icon.
can you help me?

ChristianR

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 04:00 AM »
Hi,
I have exactly the same request. If I can set it in the INI file manually, also OK. I just need to know how.
Background: No, I do not want to spy on employees. There would be better programs for that.

I want a "diary" of how I waste my time, and this would be really easy with an autostart screencapture. The way it currently is set up, I have to start it every day. I often forget this..

So, one vote for: "ENGAGE AUTO CAPTURE TIMER" at startup

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 08:24 AM »
Let's remember, there are some good tools for doing this kind of stuff if your main objective is regular capture of desktop while computer is being used; see for example: TimeSnapper

ChristianR

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 06:08 PM »
Yes, you are right.. But I don't see why I should pay 25 $ for a program which can do exactly the same like this nice tool here.

I mean is there any obvious disadvantage of using Screenshot Caputure for this? I will parse the shots later with a self written software anyway.

I even wrote a .NET programm for capture, but as I need some nice features screen capture anyway, I though I give it a try. (My prog is kind of buggy, so why reinvent the wheel)...

Sorry, I am a poor student, I know that 25$ is not much, but still..

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 06:19 PM »
no reason not to use screenshot captor, in fact i have considered adding some features similar to TimeSnapper for people who want to do that kind of stuff.  anyway i was just trying to point out that there are alternatives.. i wouldn't mind adding a commandline option to start capturing on startup.

ChristianR

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 05:49 AM »
Ok, I revert my last argument.
There is definitely a reason to use timesnapper:

It is much, much more comfortable!!

I think I will stick with it, so if anyone thinks about doing the same thing, really take a look.
Chris

Catchamouse

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 02:44 PM »
Does exist a way how to autosave screenshots without clicking on options respectively without displaying screen "what to do now with screenshot?"

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 02:50 PM »
Does exist a way how to autosave screenshots without clicking on options respectively without displaying screen "what to do now with screenshot?"

there certainly does.  in fact personally i never understand why anyone uses the pop-up "what do you want to do now" dialog.

to do what you want go to "Interface Options 1" tab and select "stay minimized":
Screenshot - 7_19_2011 , 2_49_52 PM.png

Catchamouse

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2011, 04:10 PM »
Thank you for the solution, sometimes the easiest solutions are the most difficult.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2011, 04:46 PM »
i never understand why anyone uses the pop-up "what do you want to do now" dialog

sometimes the easiest solutions are the most difficult.

Maybe it's time for that setting to get another default during installation, it's the first thing I change after a fresh install of SSC on any system.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2011, 06:24 PM »
Maybe it's time for that setting to get another default during installation, it's the first thing I change after a fresh install of SSC on any system.

yeah i strongly considered that, but i'm afraid that its something new users might like, to hold their hand when just starting.

what i could do however is add a way on THAT pop up dialog to say "stop showing me this dialog after capture"