topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:35 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Why does Windows assign my USB drive to an already assigned network drive?  (Read 12545 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
At work, whenever I put in a USB stick, the computer automatically assigns the USB the same letter as another networked drive.  Why does it do this?  Why doesn't it find another, unused letter?  I always have to disconnect the network drive to be able to see the USB.  And then, even after disconnecting, it reconnects after startup (which may not necessarily be a problem, just a way the network is setup).  How can I get the USB to be assigned to a different letter?

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I try to use a drive letter that's away from everything else for network shares.  That way if a few removable media come and go, I don't get the conflict.

Also I found a tutorial how to create a bootable USB and one thing interesting was using the DiskPart assign command to map a USB to another drive letter.  Can come in handy if you are using some old diskette utilities that only know about A:

It may avoid having to install one of those "virtual floppy" drivers used to get a boot image onto "A:" before copying to other media.

For some reason I can't seem to find that tutorial now.  It was good stuff though.

edit: here's the MS ref for DiskPart
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300415

« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 10:07 PM by MilesAhead »

tsaint

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Hi from the a*** end of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I was also driven crazy by that problem, until I began using USB Drive Letter Manager, which runs as a service. From http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdlm_e.html.
Each of my USB drives and external hard drives has a specific letter I chose so as not to conflict with the network, nor each other (set in an ini file) which my computer will always use.

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I was also driven crazy by that problem, until I began using USB Drive Letter Manager, which runs as a service. From http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdlm_e.html.
Each of my USB drives and external hard drives has a specific letter I chose so as not to conflict with the network, nor each other (set in an ini file) which my computer will always use.

Incredible utility! I use it for all my USB devices so I know that my iPod will get assigned to 'i' for instance and that the memory card from my camera also gets the same letter each time.

tsaint

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Hi from the a*** end of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Sorry, Superboyac, I didn't read to the bottom of your linked article, which referred to USBDLM

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
You can manage this with USBSafelyRemove, they have a beta version at http://safelyremove.com/version-4-1.htm and I think they proposed a 1y free license to beta-testers (maybe non longer valid now).  Or the regular version.
.merle1.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 10:47 AM by MerleOne »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
You can manage this with USBSafelyRemove, they have a beta version at http://safelyremove.com/version-4-1.htm and I think they proposed a 1y free license from beta-testers (maybe non longer valid now).  Or the regular version.
I've liked this program and author for a while now.  I should probably get it.  i just never really used USB much before.

scrolllock

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

On first view USB Safely Remove might be easier to use than USBDLM but it takes by far more memory.

@superboyac: All you need is XP SP3. It fixes the problem at least for new drives.

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
On first view USB Safely Remove might be easier to use than USBDLM but it takes by far more memory.

@superboyac: All you need is XP SP3. It fixes the problem at least for new drives.

Just 12MB on my XP SP2 system !
.merle1.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member

What are the stats? (In "private bytes", not silly default taskmgr stats).
- carpe noctem

scrolllock

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

On a virtual machine without any hotplug drives (Private Bytes shown by ProcessExplorer)

The USBDLM service takes  2.4 MB.
USB Safely Remove V4.0 takes 1 MB for its service and 8 MB for the colorful user app.

I think when I had tested USB Safely Remove some time ago on a real XP with some USB drives it was much more.
Maybe V4.0 is more optimized than V3.x was.

Still factor 3.5 for USBDLM.

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Still factor 3.5 for USBDLM.

Sorry, I quite don't follow.  What is your comparison reference ?  Also, in that case, I feel it's the absolute amount that matters, not the ratio.  It's just a few megabytes, IMHO.
.merle1.

scrolllock

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

2.4 MB against 9 MB. If I can choose then I select the slim one.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
USBDLM is very useful when it comes to the management of removable drives and it's quite popular here, just check out these threads..

how to give each USB stick a specific drive letter?
Fixed Drive Letters for Removable Drives
IDEA: automatic card reader drive letter assignment/removal

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
USBDLM is very useful when it comes to the management of removable drives and it's quite popular here, just check out these threads..

how to give each USB stick a specific drive letter?
Fixed Drive Letters for Removable Drives
IDEA: automatic card reader drive letter assignment/removal

Very cool.  Thanks.