ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Your basic desktop icon save/restore for 32 bit windows

<< < (3/4) > >>

MilesAhead:
I found the original DIPS code by Richter compiled as 64 bit and even that doesn't work:

http://amip.tools-for.net/files/dips64/

Guess Vista64 does something different with the desktop icons.
I would recommend searching for something that claims Vista64 support.

MilesAhead:
hmmm, the other thing that occurs to me is I'm running VistaGlazz and Purple theme. I wouldn't go by my results as some of the shell dlls are probably changed on my system.
If it works for you it's good.  I don't think any of them will work for me now.  Anyway, now I have all my icons in categorized folders for type of application and each of those folders has a custom Icon in RocketDock. No more desktop icon clutter. :)

lanux128:
@Miles: thanks for putting up the source but i'm hardly a duck to C++ waters.. i wanted command-line parameters so that i can launch save/restore functions via Farr instead of right-clicking on the desktop. :)
-lanux128 (May 06, 2009, 08:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

I understand but I don't have any C++ compiler set up, so how could I test it?
If you search hard enough you can probably find Richter's original C code.  It was a small dialog box with save/restore buttons.  There must be command line implementations around someplace.  Maybe softpedia or Sourceforge.net-MilesAhead (May 07, 2009, 12:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

no worries then, i didn't realise that it might be more complicated. thanks anyway.. :)

btw i noticed another program that could do this - DeskSave and it works quite ok with Farr.

Ted M:
I've been using:

http://midiox.com/

Desktop Save and Restore.

32-bit and 64-bit versions available. Both work fine on my computers.

Ted

TWmailrec:
Ive noticed with several Vista-32 systems that icon layout INSIDE folders on the desktop is often reset to alphabetical order (after program install etc).
Since these folders can contain numerous icons it is tedious to restore correct layout.

I now have created a REG save/restore on two keys:

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-913379744-1625067961-1115525842-1000\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell

&

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-913379744-1625067961-1115525842-1000_Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell

It doesnt always work on the newest folder, and key:
S-1-5-21-913379744-1625067961-1115525842-1000
is specific for a given Vista system

Surely others would appreciate a proper icon position RESTORE, which extends inside folders.

any veiws?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version