topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:40 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Am I missing something obvious? How do you paste???  (Read 28915 times)

jeffthemartin

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Am I missing something obvious? How do you paste???
« on: May 05, 2009, 03:14 PM »
I must be missing something really obvious, because I can't figure out how to paste something from the clips list.  I mean, you just click on the item you want to paste, and it inserts it, right?

I've tried this in multiple programs, including PowerPoint and Firefox, and 90% on the time, it makes the paste sound, but doesn't paste anything.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Am I missing something obvious? How do you paste???
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 05:06 PM »
I've had problems and am having them again unfortunately, with pasting in apps that are html(?) or have to do with html -
browsers, Evernote.
If you do only have the problem occasionally you can do a simple Ctrl+V paste after the unsuccessful paste and your selection will be pasted - obviously this not a solution if it's happeneing so much (is 90% a realistic or an exasperated estimate!?)

I'd say I'm having the problem less than 10% of the time
Do you get any error messages?
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 05:17 PM »
go to where you want to paste and hit ctrl+alt+V to bring up quick paste menu, then select the item.

acepelon

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 10:54 PM »
Mouser,

First, thank you for FARR- it is so wonderful I can't believe its utility and that I have never heard of anyone using it.  That will change at least in my circle.

Sorry to be thick, but I have the same problem as the original poster of this message.  I have tried on two machines through reboots to select a number from the quick paste menu or to click the clip that I want, but neither of these methods will paste the clip into notepad (or any other program).  I have changed all of the options I can think would apply.  I see the clip in the list, and I can, from the press of the number, then ctl-v the clip into the program, but I thought that this program simply pasted for you once you selected the clip.

What might I be doing wrong?  I am using WinXP SP3 on both machines.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 11:04 PM »
can you try this for me -- try it in a number of different programs, see if some work and some don't.
see if it matter if you click your mouser where you want to paste before you bring up the menu.
see if it always fails to paste or just sometimes.

the other thing to try is the new option in the Behavior tab:
Screenshot - 7_9_2009 , 11_04_17 PM.png

see if that works.  even if it does, it's not really suitable for larger clips, but it would be a clue.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 11:06 PM by mouser »

acepelon

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 11:31 PM »
I got the paste to work exactly twice in Chrome while it was still loading a page.  I have mostly had the box you mentioned checked, and the two times it workes were with it checked.  Without it checked, it never worked.  After those two times, I couldn't get it to work in Chrome.  I tried Chrome, IE, Firefox, Evernote, Notepad, Windows Explorer.  A couple other programs.

It does seem to overwrite the active clip though, so I can ctl V, but I am looking for paste to active window.  I have been using Launchy for years and I love it except that a) the find absolutely sucks, b) the groups don't work right, c) it just started munching my memory and I can't get it to stop.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 12:07 AM »
i'll check the code and see if i can see any reason why it wouldn't be pasting.. basically it's trying to send a ctrl+V to simulate the paste.  Since it's overwriting the active clip, it's clearly getting that far.  it may just be gunshine about sending the Ctrl+V if it doesnt *think* it has restored focus into the window that was active before being triggered -- perhaps if i relax that a little i can get it to work more reliably.  Stay tuned.

DonationCoderTransmit

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 07:06 PM »
I have the same problem. XP Pro SP2.

It's not related to the type of target app: I get it everywhere, including Notepad.

Doesn't matter if I click the target app first.

Doesn't matter if I use the 'simulate keys' option.

It always overwrites the active clip (so a subsequent manual Ctrl+V always works).

Sometimes it works fine for a few pastes, maybe 3 or 4 in a row, but then it always reverts to failing to paste, maybe for 10 or 15 in a row. Testing into Notepad, with nothing else running, reliably repeats this experience.

I only have a few old versions downloaded: the last one I have which works (perfectly!) is Version: 1.16.0.1 (CRC-32: 7A4ED312). Just swapping the .exe between that version, and the latest, reliably toggles the bug on and off.

The latest (called v1.24.01, but containing an .exe with Version: 1.19.0.1 (CRC-32: FACFBB05)), and an earlier one also with Version: 1.19.0.1 but with a CRC-32 of: 47EEF219, don't work.

If you can provide download links for versions since 1.16.0.1 (CRC-32: 7A4ED312), I can pinpoint exactly where it went astray, if that helps?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 07:11 PM »
that info will really help me actually -- ill try to track it down this week.

DonationCoderTransmit

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 07:16 PM »
Great, thanks :)

DonationCoderTransmit

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 10:14 PM »
Any luck yet, Mouser?

DonationCoderTransmit

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 08:38 AM »
I guess CHP is the poor relation in the Mouser software empire  ;).

So I'm hunting for alternatives. Annoyingly, the freeware, open-source Ditto has the same issue for me.

ClipMate works fine, though I prefer CHS's system of a selection menu rather than a separate window. And ClipMate is $35, of course :(.

I prefer CHS to all others I've looked at, but naturally this often-won't-paste bug is a killer.

I hope this might be of some help to acepelon, jeffthemartin, tomos and any others experiencing this issue.

And I'm still monitoring this thread, and will be happy to test any potential fixes, Mouser, if you ever get a chance to track it down.

Best wishes.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 08:44 AM »
my apologies -- a few projects have dominated my attention recently, not least of which the screencast video series (this will benefit CHS when i finally get to making the CHS videos, since i always seem to find a few bugs when i do that).

i understand the frustration.  i promise to try to work on this over this weekend -- and let's see if it's an easy fix.

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 08:51 AM »
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>

DonationCoderTransmit

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 12:39 AM »
I understand the demands on your time Mouser, and there's certainly no need to apologise. I'll keep my fingers crossed :).

(Thanks for the ClipX tip, sri).

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2009, 02:06 AM »
ok. Now I :Thmbsup: Ditto.

I have set Ctrl+Shift+V to bring up the clipboard history items menu. Any item from this menu can be pasted either by typing the corresponding number or using cursor to navigate and press enter or just by double clicking.

We can also set hotkeys for any of the last 10 items that we copied. I have set Win+V to paste the 2nd item because usually that's what I want to paste often. Ex. There is username and password mentioned in an email and you copy both. Since username is what I need to paste first in the web page that prompts for these, I press Win+V and for pasting the password and Ctrl+Shift+V followed by enter for pasting the password.

The best thing about this program (perhaps this feature is there in other similar programs as well) is that once the menu is shown we can start typing any text and the matching clip will show as you type the text. We just select the ones that we want and paste.

We can also select multiple clips from the menu and paste all of them in a single click. The program is smart enough to realize that we want to paste the last item first.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 02:08 AM by sri »

DonationCoderTransmit

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2009, 10:15 PM »
I'm glad you like Ditto, sri, and it's certainly feature-packed. (Though it also has the often-won't-paste bug for me).

What I most like about CHS is that the 'Quick Paste' list appears as a menu at the cursor, rather than as a separately-located window (and of course with it's own separate full window just a further click away). I use a PowerPro mouse shortcut (right+middle buttons) to call up the Quick Paste menu, so 90% of the time I can use CHS entirely with the mouse.

I do have a few minor feature wish-list items, but I'm not going to push my luck ;).

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2009, 10:45 PM »
Screenshot from Ditto:

Ditto.png

DonationCoderTransmit

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2009, 01:23 AM »
Yeah, I'd forgotten exactly which features went with which of the many clipboard apps I've tried recently. It's ClipMate, I think, which can't open its window at the cursor or caret.

Nevertheless, the Ditto window is still just a window, rather than a menu. The selection doesn't move as you move the cursor, and you have to double-click to paste, rather than just single-click. And you have to (scroll and) click into 'favorite' groups, rather than mouse-navigating through CHS's cascading menus. (Or use the keyboard, of course). I could certainly live with it, if I had to, but I prefer the CHS system.

I also use CHS's formatting presets to clean up line breaks, etc. And sometimes the spellchecker.

So I really, really hope Mouser can find the problem.

Looking again at your earlier post, I note that CHS can do everything you like about Ditto, albeit not quite as directly in a few cases :-

I have set Ctrl+Shift+V to bring up the clipboard history items menu. Any item from this menu can be pasted either by typing the corresponding number or using cursor to navigate and press enter or just by double clicking.

CHS does all that (with single-clicking, in fact).

We can also set hotkeys for any of the last 10 items that we copied. I have set Win+V to paste the 2nd item because usually that's what I want to paste often. Ex. There is username and password mentioned in an email and you copy both. Since username is what I need to paste first in the web page that prompts for these, I press Win+V and for pasting the password and Ctrl+Shift+V followed by enter for pasting the password.

If you set CHS to use Win+V for the Quick Paste menu, then Win+V,2 pastes the 2nd item, and Win+V,1 pastes the 1st item. Almost as direct.

The best thing about this program (perhaps this feature is there in other similar programs as well) is that once the menu is shown we can start typing any text and the matching clip will show as you type the text. We just select the ones that we want and paste.

CHS has the same feature in its main window. I suppose adding that to the Quick Paste menu would be cool (if it's possible to have an input field on a menu?)

We can also select multiple clips from the menu and paste all of them in a single click. The program is smart enough to realize that we want to paste the last item first.

If you hold down CTRL while clicking individual items from the CHS menu, it will paste each item as you click it, then make the menu reappear ready for the next one. Again, almost as direct (though without line breaks between items).

I'm not trying to dissuade you from Ditto, of course, just comparing, out of interest.

DonationCoderTransmit

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2009, 08:04 AM »
 :'(

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2009, 04:48 AM »
questions for those having the problem where CHS starts to fail to paste:

do you have the "Watch Windows" checkbox checked? does it make a difference?
if we are talking about triggering this from the quick paste menu -- does it matter if you use the mouse or keyboard to trigger the item to paste?

and am i right that you are triggering the quick paste menu with the hotkey (not from system tray)?

Screenshot - 9_24_2009 , 4_47_20 AM.png

who can reliably make CHS fail to paste into the last active window -- are you willing to test versions of CHS if i upload for you -- to help me diagnose the problem?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 05:05 AM by mouser »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2009, 05:01 AM »
[...]
who can reliably make CHS fail to paste into the last active window -- are you willing to test versions of CHS if i upload for you -- to help me diagnose the problem?

It fails very regularly here mouser - but not reliably in the sense I cant predict exactly when it will fail.
Happy to test if you want.

If it's any consolation I had problems with ditto as well (I missed too many CH&S features as well so still using). Havent tried any other apps.

BTW that option is ticked here
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2009, 05:52 AM »
I have uploaded a debug version of just the exe to:
https://www.donation...oardHelpAndSpell.zip

for those who can make the failure to paste problem occur, please try this version (might want to rename it or back up old version first before replacing it with this exe).

it will product a text file debugout.txt that contains some debug messages.

once you experience the problem, where selecting a quickpaste clip fails to paste it into the target application, you should then exit CHS, and open debugout.txt in a text editor, and pm me, and we can see if we can spot what went wrong.. i.e. did it misidentify the laste active window -- or fail to reactivate it, etc.

DonationCoderTransmit

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2009, 10:36 AM »
do you have the "Watch Windows" checkbox checked? does it make a difference?
Yes I do, and it's the same on or off.

if we are talking about triggering this from the quick paste menu -- does it matter if you use the mouse or keyboard to trigger the item to paste?
Same using mouse or keyboard.

and am i right that you are triggering the quick paste menu with the hotkey (not from system tray)?
Yes.

Happy to help. I've attached the debugout.txt

Lots of "CHS FAILED TO PASTE  -- Last Active Window is 0."

Good luck!

DonationCoderTransmit

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2009, 10:47 AM »
And here's another one. This time I just copied the word "Test" then attempted to repeatedly paste it into the same Notepad window (using the mouse or keyboard hotkey from the quick paste menu). Nothing else is going on at the time. As the debugout2.txt shows, sometimes it works, but mostly it fails.