ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Announce Your Software/Service/Product

New program: Ethervane ActiveHotkeys (freeware)

<< < (13/20) > >>

superboyac:
This is a great program, as usual.  But seriously, how do i find out which programs are using the particular shortcut?  I'm having a problem where two programs have the same global hotkey assigned, and the one that wins is not the one I want.  So your program tells me there are two programs, but how do i find out which it is?

skwire:
how do i find out which programs are using the particular shortcut?-superboyac (January 31, 2011, 12:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

Unfortunately, because of limitations in the Win32 API, you can't.

superboyac:
how do i find out which programs are using the particular shortcut?-superboyac (January 31, 2011, 12:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

-skwire (January 31, 2011, 02:18 PM)
--- End quote ---
Aww, crap.  This is going to take me forever to figure out!

tranglos:
-skwire (January 31, 2011, 02:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

What skwire said. Windows has that information, but there is no API function to retrieve it. Your only bet is to stop individual apps and see which hotkeys disappear together with the apps.

Theoretically, a program might:
a) check registered hotkeys
b) kill a process
c) check hotkeys again
d) the difference in hotkeys will show those that the killed app used.
e) repeat from the top.

But it's such an ugly solution (force-killing processes) that I don't think anyone'd want to implement it :) And of course under Vista and highter there will be processes which the user just cannot kill.

Maybe better: remove/disable as much as you can in the various Autostart sections (e.g. using Autoruns), the check the hotkeys, start the suspect apps manually and check again.

superboyac:
Maybe better: remove/disable as much as you can in the various Autostart sections (e.g. using Autoruns), the check the hotkeys, start the suspect apps manually and check again.
-tranglos (January 31, 2011, 02:45 PM)
--- End quote ---
I'll give that a shot.  If anyone has any tips, the hotkey I'm looking for is Ctrl-Alt-[right arrow].  My Windows installation is still pretty new, so there isn't much software installed.  if any of you thinks they might know which program is doing it, I'd appreciate it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version