ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Help me build the ultimate metal playlist

(1/5) > >>

Josh:
To all, I am hoping there are some metalheads here. I am very into metal of all sorts. Death, Speed, Thrash, Heavy, Black...etc. I am trying to create the ultimate cd in two forms. One of them is a standard audio cd, 80 mins, for playback in my wife's old car stereo. The other will be an MP3 CD. Now please note, when it comes to metal, I prefer music that is heavy on the guitars, has either some very fast guitar playing to it, and a very loud vocal line.

Here is a list of "Must-Have's" on my soundtrack CD.

Rob Halford - Hells Last Survivor
Judas Priest - Metal Meltdown
Lizy Borden - Lord of the Flies
Metallica - That was just your life
Metallica - The thing that should not be
Metallica - Dyers Eve
Megadeth - Hangar 18
Disturbed - Ten Thousand Fists

Now, not all of those are on the cd currently, but those are what I consider essentials to my library.

Any ideas? Thoughts? Quandries? Idiosyncratic concerns?

Edvard:
I'm a bit on the old-school side, but these were my favorites from 'back then'...

* Iron Maiden - The Trooper,Run to the Hills
* Testament - Curse of the Legions of Death
* Death Angel - Kill as One,Thrashers
* Metallica - Metal Militia (who am I kidding, just hit 'Random' from the first 3 albums)
* Anthrax - Indians,Time
* Stormtroopers of Death - Kill Yourself
* Manowar - Blood of the King
* Corrosion of Conformity - Damned for All Time
* Trouble - Black Shapes of Doom
I know there'll be more, but I'll stop for now

CWuestefeld:
It looks like you're an old-timer like me: NWOBHM into the thrash era, and nu-metal isn't invited to the party :) Here are some of my favorites fitting that bill (scanning into my MP3 player now):

* Overkill - Skullcrusher (playing with spiders), In Union We Stand
* Slayer - South of Heaven, Raining Blood
* Annihilator - Alison Hell
* Pantera - Mouth for War (assuming the groove metal isn't too new for you)
* Savatage - Gutter Ballet
* Helloween - I Want Out
* Testament - Practice What You Preach
* Anthrax - Madhouse
* Dream Theater - Pull Me Under
* Fates Warning - Silent Cries
* Flotsam and Jetsam - Hard on You
* Accept - Balls to the Wall
* Queensryche - Queen of the Reich, London, Screaming in Digital, The Needle Lies, Suite Sister Mary ... most anything from the first 4 albums
* Metallica - anything from the first 3, especially Master of Puppets, Creeping Death
* Megadeth - Wake Up Dead, The Conjuring, In My Darkest Hour
* Led Zeppelin - Achilles Last Stand (I'm not kidding, listen and you'll see that it's the prototype for later thrash)
Some of these (Helloween, Savatage, Queensryche, Dream Theater) are a bit more of a prog metal or power metal sound than what you listed, but I think would fit well.

I didn't list anything from newer genres (e.g., Opeth, Evergrey, Dragonforce) because it doesn't seem to fit in as well.

Edvard:
Led Zeppelin - Achilles Last Stand (I'm not kidding, listen and you'll see that it's the prototype for later thrash)
-CWuestefeld (May 05, 2009, 08:45 AM)
--- End quote ---
You sir, are correct.

You've reminded me to dig a little further in the roots...

* Black Sabbath - Mob Rules
* Raven - Break the Chain
* Talas - High Speed on Ice
* Tank - Run Like Hell
I hope that does it...

rgdot:
Kreator -  Under The Guillotine, Flag Of Hate, Command Of The Blade, Awakening Of The Gods...and so many more
OverKill - There's No Tomorrow, Feel The Fire, Shred, Overkill III...so many more too

Heavy metal side of things:

Saxon - Lionheart and Inner Sanctum albums are excellent in my opinion

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version