topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:38 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Are vector graphics universally accepted in web design ?  (Read 4647 times)

tinyvillager

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Are vector graphics universally accepted in web design ?
« on: December 14, 2005, 03:48 PM »
Any web designers out there have opinions about limits,pros and cons of using vector graphics when designing
webpages.I just stumbled upon Inkscape and the file sizes it creates are amazing.But amazing is not that amazing
if it's not universally accepted.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Are vector graphics universally accepted in web design ?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 04:13 PM »
the only way you're going to get vector type files into web pages with any success is using .swf, flash based files. otherwise you'll just be saving the vector images out to pixel based files so they are compatible with the browsers everyone is using.

(sorry if that was just stating the obvious - i wasn't entirely sure what you meant.)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 04:16 PM »
Humm... there's other vector-based fileformats than flash, but unfortunately you probably won't find any support except for "bleeding-edge" browsers. Or well, at least not in IE :)
- carpe noctem

tinyvillager

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 04:30 PM »
No,obvious is cool,i stumble in the graphics department and after googling around i realized the terms vector graphics actually doesn't mean a specific file type like i assumed i.e. .svg.Under that assumption i was wondering
if one could embed a .svg file into a page like as you can with .jpg. .png,etc.The whole question began in my
head when i right clicked a file .svg created by inkscape and opened it with Opera.Pretty cool.Seems it would
be even better than .png.I'll have to do further investigation.Thanks for imput.

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 05:15 PM »
If you like the program you may benefit from creating the graphics with vectors (svg, swf), then export them as rasters (png, jpg, gif). That way you get the compatibility with browsers and you can scale it if you see fit in the future. Say you think your link bar is just a little too big: just reduce the size to 90%, re-export it to raster, and upload it to your page...