topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:41 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Locate32  (Read 9991 times)

Nzyme

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Locate32
« on: May 02, 2012, 09:45 PM »
Hi there,

I use the latest build (3.1.11.7100) of Locate32. Since this version is only available as a portable program, how can I make this program to start automatically when I log in to Windows?

I have enabled the setting "Run Locate on system startup" in the "Settings" option to no avail. In general, how can one enable a portable program to start automatically when you login to Windows?

Nzyme

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Locate32
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 10:26 PM »
Shortcut in Startup folder.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 01:33 AM »
Alternatives to the StartUp Folder include:

RunIt that starts via Registry key

and Delayed Cuts where you can set delays for programs to space out the boot up loading.  Other than spacing out the load, Delayed Cuts is good for things like delaying a program that needs a network folder mapped as a drive letter to work, until after a command that maps the drive letter has run.  That's just one example. It's pretty general purpose.

.. both are available on this page:
http://www.favessoft.com/downloads.html

All my downloads are free for you to use at your own risk.
One proviso, I only have English Language Windows single monitor system for development. I can't support what I can't try out. :)

Nzyme

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 04:17 AM »

Thanks! Will try and let you know if it works...

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 03:48 PM »
btw I'm curious. I used Locate32 for quite awhile. But I noticed on Vista it used folder change notification on the entire drive it seemed. I noticed periods where my drive was all but unusable as Explorer went through every file on all my disks checking if they changed or something. It really made it unusable for me. Did you notice anything like that? Perhaps it's been fixed?

Just wondering as that alone drove me to use Everything Search.

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 03:59 PM »
btw I'm curious. I used Locate32 for quite awhile. But I noticed on Vista it used folder change notification on the entire drive it seemed. I noticed periods where my drive was all but unusable as Explorer went through every file on all my disks checking if they changed or something. It really made it unusable for me. Did you notice anything like that? Perhaps it's been fixed?

Just wondering as that alone drove me to use Everything Search.

I've never noticed that. I have mine set to index at something like 3 AM, or manually using F8 (or is it F9?). On the manual index, I have noticed it being slower sometimes than other times, so maybe that is. What is folder change notification exactly?

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 04:57 PM »
There's an OS API where you can register your app or window to get folder change notification messages or updates. I forget if it uses a Windows Message or what. Last time I used Locate32 I noticed when I set it to automatically detect changes, I got that Explorer opening every file in the system. I assume it used that API. If I turned the automatic change detection off, it didn't churn the drive but then I had to do manual updates, sort of like the Linux locate command.

Everything Search isn't perfect.  Sometimes I notice on start it doesn't refresh the little database and I have to kill it, delete the .db file, then run it again. Now and then it happens. Other than that it's pretty easy on the drive. It keeps the .db in memory. I notice when I kill the app it writes the file to the home folder.

Of course on Vista pre-SP1 there was a lot of stuff that contributed to HD churning. SP1 fixed most of it. Even so, I turn Windows Search indexer off for Windows Seven.

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 05:10 AM »
There's an OS API where you can register your app or window to get folder change notification messages or updates. I forget if it uses a Windows Message or what. Last time I used Locate32 I noticed when I set it to automatically detect changes, I got that Explorer opening every file in the system. I assume it used that API. If I turned the automatic change detection off, it didn't churn the drive but then I had to do manual updates, sort of like the Linux locate command.

I don't think I have every used automatic change detection, because I have always associated the program with the Linux locate command and manual updates. I just run an automatic update overnight, since most of the time I am looking for a file older than 24 hours. Manual updates do take a while though, when I need one.

I love the interception of Win-F, it makes me think this is a natural evolution of Find UI from Windows 95, if Microsoft had not let Find/Search go to rot.

Nzyme

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 11:54 PM »

Do I place only the .exe file in the startup folder or the entire Locate32 folder?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 03:47 AM »

Do I place only the .exe file in the startup folder or the entire Locate32 folder?

Alt+drag the exe to the startup folder (that creates a shortcut)
or right-click the exe & "create shortcut" - that's usually made on the desktop. You can them move it.

There are lots of (free) apps for checking/managing apps that start with windows.

I used use Codestuff Starter, but havent installed it yet on this machine (I notice the website doesnt mention windows 7. There is a portable version there though so easy to try out.)
Tom

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 03:55 AM »
Alt+drag the exe to the startup folder (that creates a shortcut)
or right-click the exe & "create shortcut" - that's usually made on the desktop. You can them move it.
Right-Click+drag on the application-exe is the standard Windows action for this workflow of creating a startup-shortcut ;)

Nzyme

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 12:27 AM »
I have had Locate32 launch at startup but the problem is that when I login, the program interface also opens up. How do I have this minimized on startup?

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 04:56 AM »
I have had Locate32 launch at startup but the problem is that when I login, the program interface also opens up. How do I have this minimized on startup?

Go to the properties of your shortcut and add a space and then /S after locate32.exe in the target.

Nzyme

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2012, 09:32 AM »
But what if I want only the program icon to appear in the system tray and no window should appear?

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2012, 12:22 PM »
But what if I want only the program icon to appear in the system tray and no window should appear?

Because of your question, I double checked my shortcut because no window appears for me. But I noticed that if locate32 is already running, and I double click on the shortcut, the window appears even if I have /S (silent) specified. So make sure you don't have an extra shortcut or autorun entry somewhere.