topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:44 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: recommend approach to publish file based browser page with data file  (Read 3182 times)

kishjeff

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi.
I'm stuck at a customer site with restrictions where I can't have an app server, or a database to use for anything 'semi-permanent'.
I would like to publish a web page with a list of servers and stati on it.
Since the data could change, I'd like to keep in a db, but I cant, so I"m wondering, being the java scriptless wonder that I am, how I could 'easily' put a browser page together that will run a limited display of servers and stati, and keep the 'data' in some text/xml file so it wil be easy for non html people to access if they need to update the status of their server.

So I'd like it to look like a table. Maybe 10 cells (2 rows of 5 perhaps), each with:
==========
server name
url
database connection (yeah it is for developers mostly)
current status (i.e. has xxx level / release on it)
responsible person or last person to update the cell
==========

I just want, say in the same directory, a text or xml file that has the data for the cells.

A user (like me perhaps) can update the text or xml file and have the table be updated next time
someone pops in with their safari/explorer/firefox/whateber browser.

thanks
Jeff

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
interesting idea.. surely someone here can point in the right direction? javascript that loads data from an xml file shouldn't be too hard right?