topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:19 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: BenuBird Pro is now freeware!  (Read 20556 times)

herneith

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
BenuBird Pro is now freeware!
« on: May 02, 2009, 09:26 AM »
Hello.  Whilst perusing the Bits du Jour site I came across an announcemnt in the Pulse section that Benubird Pro was being relaunched as BenuBird PDF and is now freeware.  Here is the link to the BenuBird site.   BenuBird Pro   
SKWilliams
It's stupid proof!

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: BenuBird Pro is now freeware!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 09:46 AM »
thanks herneith, BenuBird looks like a capable program. :up:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 05:36 PM »
from the above link
Therefore, we’ve made some small changes to Benubird such as in-built PDF Preview, moveable repository/library and PDF metadata to file metadata syncing.  And whilst we work behind-the-scenes on bolting on an even greater range of PDF features and options, we’re making the current version freeware.

BTW — don’t worry, if you’re a paid-for-customer of the original Benubird Pro, we appreciate your support and we’re going to be offering you a free-upgrade to the commercial Benubird PDF Pro upon release.
Tom

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 02:20 PM »
Do not install this application because uninstalling might mess up your other pdf stuff on your machine. Also uninstalling forces for a restart which I hate.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 08:04 PM »
I didn't have a problem when I uninstalled... nor did I have to restart.  So perhaps YMMV?

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 02:31 AM »
What exactly does it do? ;)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 08:27 AM »
What exactly does it do? ;)

I'm not fully sure myself but these might help:-
It took me a while to get the significance of the fact that this is a data warehouse app, not an indexer.  When you import into the app, it copies the files into the application- not just indexing it in place.  So if you import 300GB into it, it will take 300GB of space for the DB.  I don't think this is the app for everyone for that reason- if you'd prefer to manage your files yourself, then it won't really fit your paradigm.  But I was tiring of moving my documents around my HD to organize them, and this way I don't have to- I set up whatever kind of view I want, and the document stays in the database.

I have Benubird Pro and have been using it for a couple of months.   Initially, I had trouble figuring it out but, after half an hour or so of tinkering with it, I got the hang of it on a basic level.  I have yet to plumb all its usages.  The tagging component is good in that you can impute whatever pertinent information in the property field resulting in swift searches.  You can access executive files as well.  You can add new files from the dialogue box also.  There are collection, sub-collection and smart collections for which files are made more quickly accessible.  I haven't as yet utilized all its' features but what I have learnt how to do with this program is good.  Best of all for novices like myself it's literally stupid proof.  I have tried similiar applications and for me this was the most comprehensive.
Tom

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 09:38 AM »
Here's a link to their product overview:
http://www.debenu.co...nubird/overview.html

I haven't installed to try yet but it looks like the type of application I've been trying to locate.  I am accumulating more and more documents in pdf format.  Manuals, correspondence, etc.  Also trying to reduce the number of magazines I have accumulated over time for the one or two articles that have been of interest.  I'm scanning them and saving as a pdf.
Sounds like this would provide the way of cataloging by keywords or index.
Someone correct me if I'm off base.
Anything else someone is familiar with that could also do this?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 11:26 AM »
It will allow you to tag and catalog your items, but be aware that your pdfs will exist within Benubird's database.  It's trivial to get them out again, but this can be off putting to some people.  There are other apps that will tag them by keyword in place- Tag Everything is the one I used, but there are several others.  It really depends on your approach to items- do you just want to be able to find them in the OS and get a different view of them?  Or do you want to separate your document management from the OS completely?

herneith

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 12:14 PM »
BTW — don’t worry, if you’re a paid-for-customer of the original Benubird Pro, we appreciate your support and we’re going to be offering you a free-upgrade to the commercial Benubird PDF Pro upon release.
  I sent this question to the developer on their blog.  BenuBird Pro.  According to the response I received, the free version will be modeled along the lines of those of AVG and AVG Pro.  So I'm assuming there will be a paid for version and a free version offered up in the future release based upon AVG and other software which offer similar proprietary and free versions as well.
SKWilliams
It's stupid proof!

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 12:36 PM »
If you have the space on your drive,
the pdfs could be copied to a new folder and use the copies to test it.

I downloaded it but haven't messed with it yet.
I do like the idea of it so far.

And you could still keep the other copies however you like.

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 12:42 PM »
do you just want to be able to find them in the OS and get a different view of them?  Or do you want to separate your document management from the OS completely?

This is something I haven't thought out completly.  If this makes sense... my initial thought was something similar to a table of contents in a book.  Or if you have ever cut or photocopied articles and placed them in a binder.  It would have different chapters (or tabs if a notebook) broken down into different topics.  ie (chap 1) laptop computers then link the appropriate (in this case) pdf file articles, (chap 2) DC forum postings, (Chap 3) lawn & garden, (chap 4) any other topic... and so on.  I see this as working if there aren't a lot of files or some files could be listed under multiple chapters.  Then more of an index would work better.  I would want this to reside on my pc or probably an external drive so the links would stay consistent.
Right now I have a combination of files in different folders with some written notes in another place of what they are.  It would be nice to have it all in one easy to locate place.  This may do it for me.

[edit] I'll try cmpm's suggestion.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 12:46 PM by bob99 »

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 04:18 AM »
A review from freewaregenius-

http://www.freewareg...-and-tag-your-files/

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 11:33 AM »

Thanks for the review link.

Digital

• Participant
  • Joined in 2022
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2022, 11:00 AM »
I know this is very outdated but, doany of you have a copy of benubird Pro 1.4? I lost mine when my pc crashed when it went free and now they don't have the Pro version anywhere just 1.4.0.9 and it doesn't create a database file as the pro did. Very simple.