ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How to setup wireless streaming movies through house?

<< < (2/2)

3of0:
Recently I've been looking into software and solutions to have media streamed to my computers.  I have a large number of video, music, and picture files that I would like accessible.  This may be different in what you're looking for if you're trying to stream a DVD for instance (but can be fixed by making a video file out of it, of which all I know is that it's possible).

I've found that XBMC has been my front end of choice.  It connects to anything that you have (well, not my TV tuner yet, but I think it's close), and plays anything you have, regardless of your OS, the protocols you need, codecs, etc...  Ok, for Windows it's a snap, but and for Linux it's very easy and there are fairly easy instructions to get it working.  It has a very clean interface as well.  I've been very impressed with it.  Some downfalls I've seen, it is looking like it needs some moderate hardware to run smoothly.  I've been running it on my EeePC netbook, and I've noticed freeze for 1-3 seconds at a time when changing and selecting options, or loading a music or video file.  For a netbook, I'm very happy with it as I'm normally waiting that amount of time anyway for it to respond.  It works Wonderfully on my desktop PC as well.

XBMC has just released version 9.04 today, and I'm excited to try it out.  Their Beta 1 version was very stable and I was very happy with it.  I'd highly recommend it to anyone, or at least give it a try, if they want to stream their media from any where to their PC.

Terflip:
 ;) Thank you rwremsik, for the heads up.

I have downloaded XBMC 9.04 and have not as yet installed the application, but with your happy review I am very excited to give this a try.  I'll try to let you know my thoughts after I give it a test run.  :D

Thanks again

Terflip

superboyac:
Is there a way to use your preferred video player (I use Zoom Player), but to ensure that the data is streamed properly?  In other words, how do we solve this problem of intermittent transmission or whatever it is that would cause playing video files to not work right?

zacharyliu:
I'm pretty sure that your network should work out-of-the-box, or maybe after following its Quick Start Guide. (of course, you threw that out as soon as you opened the box, right?  ;)) Windows has the Network Setup Wizard, which I've never used, but should work.

You should stream (and play on the other end) the video using VLC. There might be better ones, but that's the one I know about and works for me.

Using the wireless-N router would be a good idea, since you could then stream at a higher bitrate more reliably.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version