Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 23, 2014, 07:27:36 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

View the new Member Awards and Badges page.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Rubber Ducky - a small, fun resource monitor  (Read 6528 times)
40hz
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: April 30, 2009, 02:47:27 PM »

This was a recent find over at xtort.net

MimarSinan Rubber Ducky System Monitor is a small system performance monitor that reports on your RAM and swapfile use, network traffic, plus hard drive and CPU activity levels. No big deal since dozens of other programs do that already. But what makes Rubber Ducky unique is the display. It uses a small "aquarium" complete with little rubber duck that sits above your system tray. Each element in the aquarium means something.

System Information at a Glance

* small aquarium sits above the system tray
    * elements of the aquarium represent system information
    * see what is slowing down your system at a single look

Available Performance Monitors

* water level: RAM usage
    * water color: SWAP file usage
    * bubbles: CPU usage
    * fish: NETWORK traffic
    * plants: DISK activity

Download link: http://www.mimarsinan.com/rubberducky.asp

Cute and unobtrusive. If you're tired of squinting at tiny numbers and graphs, but still want something to help you keep a rough eye on what your system is up to, give Rubber Ducky a try.

Thmbsup

« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 02:49:14 PM by 40hz » Logged

Don't you see? It's turtles all the way down!
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 04:27:28 PM »

fun idea  thumbs up
4wd
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 08:01:55 PM »

I still like the old System Load indicator from my Amiga days.

It was called Flynn and basically it was the animated face of the main character from Doom who sat on Workbench, (Desktop equivalent), and looked left/right, etc but when the load started to get heavy he progressively got more bloody and haggard.

* capture_05012009_111653.jpg (3.67 KB, 95x155 - viewed 723 times.)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 08:20:26 PM by 4wd » Logged

I do not need to control my anger ... people just need to stop pissing me off!
lanux128
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 08:05:02 PM »

yes, quite creative i must say.. Cool

40hz
Supporting Member

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 08:51:27 PM »

I still like the old System Load indicator from my Amiga days.

It was called Flynn and basically it was the animated face of the main character from Doom who sat on Workbench, (Desktop equivalent), and looked left/right, etc but when the load started to get heavy he progressively got more bloody and haggard.

Love it. Very dark humor.

Hmmm...maybe somebody can come up with a Resident Evil version? The more your system degrades, the more angry Alice's expression becomes?

(Hey, I'll take any excuse to get Milla Jovovich's lovely visage on my screen. embarassed)

Gothi[c]
DC Server Admin
Charter Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 01:16:35 AM »

Flynn and rubber ducky have been part of gkrellm on *nix for ages.
I still use it daily.

Flynn in gkrellm screenshot (to the left):

http://linkerror.com/stuf...Shoot_04-29-09_084018.jpg

This one shows rubber ducky in gkrellm (to the right) (not mine):

http://i16.photobucket.co...is_666/April_deskapps.jpg
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 01:31:00 AM by Gothi[c] » Logged
4wd
Supporting Member

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 05:48:18 AM »

(Hey, I'll take any excuse to get Milla Jovovich's lovely visage on my screen. embarassed)

In that case I would have thought you'd go for the changing clothes scene from The Fifth Element...................then again, imagine how many CPUs you'd burn out  tongue

I do not need to control my anger ... people just need to stop pissing me off!
40hz
Supporting Member

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 07:12:20 AM »

In that case I would have thought you'd go for the changing clothes scene from The Fifth Element...................then again, imagine how many CPUs you'd burn out  tongue

Hey! I didn't say I wanted to see her naked. I'm primarily impressed with the way her face is put together. It's one of the few that looks good from every angle. Photographers dream of getting to work with a face like that. Plus, she has one of those rare smiles...

(And yes...the rest of her is rather nice* too! Grin )

*Although IMHO she's looks a bit too thin for a woman her age. Sign of the times I suppose. "De gustibus non est disputandum."

« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 07:22:40 AM by 40hz » Logged

s2h
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 01:26:24 PM »

Very nice utility although I am not fond of the auto update app that keeps appearing in my system tray looking for an install.  Should be an option.
RoadKill
Charter Member

The cheese stands alone.

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 02:04:17 AM »

Creative way to visualize the metrics, thanks for bringing this to our attention!
RNiK
Participant

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 05:08:33 AM »

Funny way to display those info! Thmbsup
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.039s | Server load: 0.11 ]