ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Opera is 15

<< < (2/3) > >>

Josh:
Also, the wand is a tool which saves and fills passwords, however, it does not let you edit any stored passwords. To recreate a password, you have to delete the old one and then relogin and save the new. Not deleting the old first results in a second entry existing in your login list.

urlwolf:
What killed them:
   Not-so-good compatibility with all the new ajax sites. This shows a worrying disregard for the people who are building innovative stuff (startups). All startups push the limits of your browser. And they build and test on Mozilla because it's just more open (plugins), more debuggable (firebug, coincidentally a plugin), and more widespread (so the return for your time and effort is higher).

Even in they get the best grades for compatibility with standards, the real test is the sites out there that fail to work 100% with Opera. My guess is that this is quite a lot, but the Opera user rarely notices unless there's a major borking that makes the site unusable; then they go to another browser, and discover what they missed.

Not so fast anymore. Opera lost the javascript wars

Perceived as too complicated

One misses too much functionality by not having plugins. At a certain point, not long ago, plugins would give you little advantages; nowadays, there's an entire universe of new things that take the form of FF addons. Some of the most innovative software in 2008 was an addon.

I think they are listening to the users but to the wrong ones
--- End quote ---

Agreed. And they have lost their sense of what's useful on the web today.
Opera smells like some creative guys (who put out incredibly innovative features) crushed under the weight of horrible management.

I switched from Opera to FF ~ 3 months ago, after being an Opera user since v. 5.

zridling:
I love me some Opera! Looks and works the same on Linux as other platforms, plays very well in the cloud, and its customizability is unmatched. I can set any tab behavior to any keyboard shortcut, effectively creating an AutoHotkey script within the browser itself. I'm forced to find extensions and pray they don't break with every upgrade with others.

Josh:
Zaine, while cross platform capability is nice, firefox and other browsers have this as well. Opera is LACKING in customizability in that if the browser has a feature missing that you want, you cannot add it. You have to hope that one of the power users on the forum can convince the moderators to possibly alert the developers to the request. I am not a firefox zealot, far from it. I do use it, but that is only because at the moment it suites my needs. I have nothing against IE, in fact I swear by IE8 at work. All browsers have their strengths and weaknesses. One of Opera's MAJOR weaknesses is that if you can live with what is included, you are great. You can customize it to no end on the features that ARE there. That is where the problem occurs as stated above, if there is something you want that is not there, you are pretty much SOL.

Ehtyar:
15 eh? Sounds like a good time to die...or be community-developed.

Ehtyar.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version