ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Opera is 15

(1/3) > >>

PhilB66:
Celebrating 15 years of browser innovation

Josh:
And it still does not support editing stored passwords, autocomplete, extensions, any sort of third party integration, and various other common features that many browsers have supported for years. Innovation is one thing but quite frankly, I would rather have autocomplete over torrent support in a browser. Way to go opera, you are innovating yourself well below the 1% usage line!

fenixproductions:
2Josh
I've never used that but I wonder about:
10. Fill forms & passwords
With the Wand, you never have to retype your information.-15 reasons to use Opera
--- End quote ---

I've been using Opera AFAIR and I must, sadly, agree with you. Maybe it's the best browser in the world but the most hostile too. There are dozen of features which are so hard to do even for advanced users that it is ridiculous. For an example: you can customize your menus any way you like BUT you need to dig into strange INI files. It's too much for me. I know how to do it but it has always been to much trouble and I was skipping such work any time.
Same goes for Opera Link. It is nice but, for God's sake, there is no simple Wizard to make it right and choose priorities of synchronisation. Of course you can type opera:config into your address bar and rely on nowhere described variable but who knows about it? It took me hours (seriously) to find out how to do it the way I want. After loosing 500 links I've decided to never use this functionality again.

And they really thought that widgets will be good enough to replace the lack of extensions. This is just a joke.

I wrote it once and will do again: they will have 1% until the end ;)

I admire their developers but management and marketing skills: both are crap. They had a chance to do something with popularity and they never decided to go for it because of "We are for experts only" policy. The only thing which left for them is to complain to EU. Mozilla did great work to fill the hole in market for average users. Opera never understood that there are more n00bs than pros.

Josh:
Thank you for reminding me about widgets. What a completely useless addition to a WEB BROWSER. Opera is more focused on NOT being a web browser and being everything else. I guess they should stop focusing on attacking Microsoft and actually listen to what users want and see what users are using on OTHER browsers.

fenixproductions:
2Josh
I think they are listening to the users but to the wrong ones. I've called that: "We are for experts only" policy.

It is stupid somehow because I have the feeling they are thinking that this way Opera will be more popular. It's very far from true IMHO. They will be unknown as long as they don't admit that stupid* users can use their tool.

*) Sorry for everyone for such term but majority of users don't know (or don't want to) "IT stuff". It's like Apple would start complaining that poor people don't understand their greatness ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version