ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Looking for a text editor that can colorize text

<< < (4/7) > >>

4wd:
What about SciTE ?

Both Notepad++ and Notepad2 are based on it and both it and they have code highlighting which is rule based I believe.

Also, PSPad allows you to edit the highlighter settings.
-4wd (May 01, 2009, 01:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

Speaking of Scite.. do you happen to know how to bring up an ahk script without folding?  Most of my scripts are 2 screens so I really don't need them folded.  Drives me nuts to have to open the menu and hit the Toggle All Folds every time I open a script. (If I can sneak in a tech support question here) :)

-MilesAhead (May 01, 2009, 01:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

The only time I use SciTE is for AutoIT scripts and they always open fully unfolded.

Found it:  Edit Global Options and change 'fold.on.open=1' to 'fold.on.open=0'

That should fix it......I think.

MilesAhead:
Thanks 4wd.  You saved my sanity!!  The global has it set as you say but I added that line to the ahk.properties and it worked.   :up:

tinjaw:
I should research this before I post, but...  ;)

My guess is that what you need is a text editor that supports language templates and a good helping of regular expressions. Try playing with Notepad++ and create your own language template. If nothing else, it will give you a starting point upon which to build.

DMcCunney:
There are lots of text editors that can do syntax highlighting and colorizing, and many are configurable.  I agree with the suggestion of SciTE.  SciTE is based on Neil Hodgson's Scintilla edit control, which includes code folding and syntax highlighting as part of what it does.  As previously mentioned, Notepad++ and Notepad2 are also based on Scintilla, as are a number of other editors.

But whichever you choose, you'll still be faced with creating the rules the editor will use to do the coloring, and adding those rules to the existing lexer files the editor has.  You probably want to spend some time thinking about just how you want your text to be colored, and under what circumstances, to have an idea of what your rules should be.  Then you can look at some editors with configurable highlighting and see what would be involved in getting them to do what you want.

Stop by TextEditors.org and poke around.  It's a wiki devoted to text editors that is trying to be as comprehensive as possible.  If it's a text editor, the site wants to list it.  Mainframe, mini, Unix box, PC, PDA - whatever platform and OS.  You can probably find some candidates to investigate.  (There are enough Scintilla based editors to merit their own Family.)
______
Dennis

Tinman57:
PSPad - free

http://www.pspad.com/en/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version