topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:36 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Vignette 6/7 "CMA" software is killing me  (Read 4088 times)

Uncle Larry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Vignette 6/7 "CMA" software is killing me
« on: May 06, 2009, 07:56 AM »
I don't know if this is a rant or request for help (some measure of both probably).  I'm involved in a project which is publishing a user manual to a large company's portal.  Unfortunately, the company uses Vignette 6 (with embedded Ewebedit Pro version 2.6) which is sort of a lobotomized Dreamweaver wannabe.  When we attempt to use CSS the code is stripped out, and we are forced to use sort of the old style HTML practice of using tables for everything.  I have been able to get the CMA (content management application) to accept in-line Java such as onmouseover and things like that, but no code which requires declarations in the head of the document is allowed to remain - obviously the company is hyper-worried about security concerns. 

I understand their concerns but it sure limits what we can do.  I want to write calculators which accepts input and returns output - can't.  I would like to create tool-tip type of additional info boxes which pop up and stay up (not disappearing in six seconds like the normal HTML "title" does) but so far no joy.   

Anyone with great ideas about how I can work within these restraints?  So far, pure HTML and in-line Java seem to be the only tools I have available.

Thanks for reading, and any thoughts

Uncle Larry

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Vignette 6/7 "CMA" software is killing me
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 12:45 AM »
i'm afraid i dont have any good suggestions, but i feel your pain, if that's any help.. very frustrating when you have to use tools that limit what you can do so much and make it feel like you are trying to squeeze blood from a stone.