topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:25 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: PDF rotation is annoying. "Rotate View" vs. Real page Rotation  (Read 5143 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
One thing I get annoyed in Acrobat and other pdf software is the whole rotation thing.  Inevitably, there are always convenient  buttons for rotating the view:
Screenshot_20090428-103422.png
But to really rotate the page permanantly, there's no button.  Only a less useful dialog with options:
Screenshot_20090428-103525.png   Screenshot_20090428-103445.png

This is fine normally, but gets annoying when you have to do it a lot because of the extra clicks.  Why can't have a freakin button for real rotation.  I keep waiting version after version after version, but it's never there.  I hate how software people keep adding fancy new features to programs and never pay attention to minor little tweaks.  I have this issue both in Acrobat Pro, and in my favorite PDF editor, Bluebeam.

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: PDF rotation is annoying. "Rotate View" vs. Real page Rotation
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 05:41 PM »
I think PDF viewers should in general be MUCH more customizable (like allow for adding custom buttons in custom order, not just enable/disable preset toolbars).

PDFTK is good at PDF rotation and easy to create batch jobs for with some scripting ( http://www.accesspdf.com/pdftk/ ). But you can't currently access it from within a PDFviewer so if you have a lot of single documents to rotate (not at the same time) then It would still be a hassle. If it was easier to add custom toolbar buttons then it would also be easy to create a pdftk script shortcut button.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 05:44 PM by Nod5 »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 06:03 PM »
No kidding, we're on version 9 already of Acrobat Pro and they keep adding useless feature after useless feature.  All these features they add are used by like 1% of users, but they'll never fine tune the cool, often used features.  Customizeable buttons and toolbars would have been nice, say, around version 6.  Maybe they'll add it by version 15.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 06:31 PM »
I keep waiting version after version after version, but it's never there.  I hate how software people keep adding fancy new features to programs and never pay attention to minor little tweaks.
hear hear -
I really think that that's how most users think.
But very few bigger software companies understand, unfortunately (and often the tweaks arent even so minor..)
Tom