ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Hard drive cooler: I need one (badly) - recommendations?

<< < (4/6) > >>

Target:
geez, you're making us work for this aren't you...

The problem with the front fan setup though is that, if I were to cut the hole and put the fan 1/2 in 1/2 out, it would hit more resistance than it is now, because both hard drive slots would be partially blocking it (making it about 1/2 effective instead of the 3/4 or so it is now).
--- End quote ---

not sure that it works like this, but it's your call.  Personally I suspect that this would be less of a problem than putting the case front back on

The front won't work unless I had a smaller fan - I need something that will fit on top of/under the drives, to blow air on/over/along them. Front and side don't work, and if I went to the back of the drive cage (in relation to the front of the computer) it would have little/no cool air coming in (no fan pulling cool and fresh air in)
--- End quote ---

Is it safe to assume your not overly attached to the case or have no real aversion to cutting the thing up?

wreckedcarzz:
I have three other cases available from computer swaps/dead computers/etc, but they are all within -3 to +4 inches in relation to this one, and the drive cage configurations are no different (except for a Dell case, and that one is just ridiculous). I can't get a new case or drives because my mom is trying to save money, so I have to work with what I have on hand, and what I'll earn within the near future (that's why I'm looking for some type of reliable hard drive cooler that doesn't cost more than ~$50). <slightly sarcastic> I would love to get a nice Antec 1200 for it and switch it out, and have it idle as an air conditioner for my room, but that won't happen in the forgettable future :P </slightly sarcastic>

geez, you're making us work for this aren't you...

Is it safe to assume your not overly attached to the case or have no real aversion to cutting the thing up?
-Target (April 28, 2009, 08:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yea, that was my plan all along. Work, work! >:D

Nah, the case looks like crap as-is (massive gashes on the right panel from screws/maintenance gone wrong, front isn't in great shape, and the left panel/door takes vice grips to open (seriously), and you have to hit it to get it snapped back into place.

I'm gonna put/bash the side door back on right now and see what happens...

Carol Haynes:
I have three other cases available from computer swaps/dead computers/etc, but they are all within -3 to +4 inches in relation to this one, and the drive cage configurations are no different
-wreckedcarzz (April 28, 2009, 08:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

You could always put the drives in their own case so that don't compete with any other hot gear - should be room to spread them out then too. Just stand it next to the current case and feed the cables from one to the other.

With 3 spare cases lying around you could give each drive its own case :P

wreckedcarzz:
That isn't a bad idea! I'll have to mess with the space I have (and listen to my mom complain "Why is there another computer on the dresser?" :-[), but it would keep the heat down and isolated. I'll try that out in a bit.

Right now, the case is "normal" and closed, except for the front panel. Heat coming from the rear fans seems about normal (vs without side). I'll keep monitoring it and see what it does.

Target:
that's where I was headed - actually you wouldn't need the whole case - if you got 3 spare then gut 2 of the 'spare' PSU's and use those cases.  They could sit on top of the existing box so they won't take up much space

From memory they should be big enough and they already have fans mounted - check the voltage on the fans as they may be 110v (240v?) which will require some care when wiring them up

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version