ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The Best Of: text editors

<< < (22/36) > >>

wraith808:
Very often, I see text editors advertised as being able to handle huge files (100+ Mb) and people commenting that they work on those incredibly large files. It boggles my mind and I wonder what kind of files are you working on that are so hefty? That's equivalent to 50,000 pages or more of text. Is the capability of editing 100's of megabytes all that common as a requirement for a text editor?
-tide (May 28, 2009, 02:08 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah, I also wonder the same thing.  (No offense to anyone, i swear!) but sometimes I think it's one of those things where people pick one really minor issue about a program and just get totally hung up on it.  I know I catch myself doing that sometimes.
-superboyac (May 28, 2009, 02:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, this is a real requirement for some people.  I get extracts from mainframe reports that are easily this large every month.  When I have to go check to see whether I received wrong info from the mainframe, V is a lifesaver.  Then if I have to actually edit something to get end of month going, Notepad++ is a real lifesaver!

Well, a text file of around 60-100mb (which I have to deal with often) does take a few seconds on any editor that puts it in memory. EmEditor is the only one that streams it.
-urlwolf (May 28, 2009, 06:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

V seems to open it up instantly, even if I use a layout on top of it for columns.  Notepad++ doesn't seem to take too much longer...

f0dder:
wraith808: huh? Notepad++ on large files? Because of scintilla, it's one of the editors that tend to barf once you try opening something not even remotely huge... unless there's been made some extremely severe fixes in the last month or so.

I do wonder why people have to edit text files that large. Viewing and searching is understandable wrt. logs, but editing? O_o

wraith808:
I haven't had a problem with it on huge files- again, they aren't major changes I'm making... so I'm not sure if that's why it works for me.

EDIT - Just tried it on a 60.9MB file and made a change to one figure (my usual change) to see if I was crazy or not.  Total elapsed time <30 sec, and most of that was finding the number I could safely edit.  I'm using Notepad++ 4.2...

f0dder:
I haven't had a problem with it on huge files- again, they aren't major changes I'm making... so I'm not sure if that's why it works for me.-wraith808 (May 28, 2009, 09:27 AM)
--- End quote ---
Interesting - there's quite a lot of posts on the forums about problems opening large files, and I've had it crash on me as well when testing. Perhaps it's mostly related to files that have syntax highlight activated? *shrug*

wraith808:
Ah.. these are plain text files.  Just masses of numbers and stuff slammed together in a fixed format, or delimited with a ~.  There's no highlighting involved- I wonder if that's what makes the difference.

EDIT - NM.  I just tried to make a significant edit (rather than just massaging a number or two) and it locked the machine down for a minute or so when I tried to c&p, then again when I saved it.  I guess it's all in the way you use it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version