ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The Best Of: text editors

<< < (20/36) > >>

wraith808:
but I seem to remember cost being an obstacle
-ivery (May 04, 2009, 07:34 AM)
--- End quote ---
Hey Jussi - maybe a DonationCoder discount is in order (can't hurt to ask, right?).
-mwb1100 (May 04, 2009, 11:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

There is a Zeus Lite version that is free of charge: http://www.zeusedit.com/lite/

-Jussi Jumppanen (May 04, 2009, 11:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

But I don't mind paying... I want the latest.  And a discount would make it a no-brainer.  ;)

mfwiniberg:
I do a lot of development (in Java - JSP and AJAX, C, C++ and PHP) and currently tend to use Netbeans because it integrates everthing together so well, but it's editor is poor compared with the various Brief derivatives.

For all non-IDE based work (16 bit C, C++ etc) I use Slickedit. Expensive, but has just about all the features mentioned as being favourites in the various editors discussed (with the exception of breadcrumbs) - even including the outer tag xml hilights etc. If anything, Slickedit is so powerful and complex you never get as far as realising that it does what you want or can be made to do so, because you spend so much time fiddling with other bits of it you never get any work done 8)

wasker:
Nice review. I'd also recommend you guys to look at TwistPad -- I love this editor. The most Visual Studio-like environment from what I tried.

mrainey:
For what it's worth, UltraEdit has introduced a non-U3 portable version.  The first forum post about it mentions faster startup.

http://www.ultraedit.com/products/mobility.html

mwb1100:
OK, I just tried EmEditor...it is REALLY fast.  The fastest one I've tried as far as loading.  I like it a lot.
-superboyac (April 30, 2009, 04:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

Be careful of the license.  If you install EmEditor on a corporate computer, you have no right to also install it at home without paying for a second license.  If you only use it at home, you can (IIRC) install it on up to 5 computers of your own.
-rjbull (April 30, 2009, 10:39 AM)
--- End quote ---
Interestingly, the actual license that's displayed when you install EmEditor doesn't say anything about being limited to 5 computers (or one computer for commercial use).  The only restriction it mentions is:

LICENSEE agrees to restrict the use of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT to him or herself.
--- End quote ---

And there's a bunch of stuff that says that you are only permitted to use registration keys that are yours and that you have to keep the registration key private.  There's also a bunch of stuff about how EmuraSoft can terminate the agreement for any reason  - so I guess if you install on more than 5 machines that would be grounds for canceling the license (since no grounds are needed anyway).

But, the manual does clearly outline what what you mentioned so I suppose that's what EmuraSoft intends.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version