ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The Best Of: text editors

<< < (7/36) > >>

simakuutio:
All of you have missed one very very very good editor which should be covered also:

E-TextEditor. Contains whole a lot great features and supports almost too many different formats....:)

Worth of checking, IMHO!

If there is some deal to purchase this one, it would be SO cool.

(and yes, I'm still mostly using Gnu Emacs to editing but sometimes I need something special and then I'm using E-TextEditor).

MilesAhead:
@erikts I'm kind of sorry I don't have Turbo Pascal with TurboVision anymore. Nice light weight Menus and Dialog boxes in console mode good for making small Dos programs for rescue discs.  There was probably some editor code around somewhere for free that could be adapted. For emergencies I want the usage of the editor I never use otherwise to be really obvious.  Too stressed out to remember a bunch of shortcuts and commands. Just want a menu open the file, drag the mouse, cut pastes, save, my computer boots up now. :)

Perry Mowbray:
I use Pyscriptter already, but what I am looking for teaching words to the editor not just imported module completion. I know I can use outside programs but I have enough stuff running in my system already :)

Have you tried PyScripter (free)? If I recall correctly, it does code completion for all the included modules, not just the current file. I haven't really used it though, since my Python education has
-tranglos (April 27, 2009, 04:40 PM)
--- End quote ---
-kartal (April 27, 2009, 05:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

PSPad? It'll remember/complete currently used words

tranglos:
All of you have missed one very very very good editor which should be covered also:

E-TextEditor. Contains whole a lot great features and supports almost too many different formats....:)

Worth of checking, IMHO!
-simakuutio (April 28, 2009, 12:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's the second time e comes up in this thread (superboyac also mentioned it earlier). What are the features that you like?

As I wrote in my reply to superboyac, I did try it once, and it seemed to be a little too early for practical use, as it was missing even the basic clipboard-related functions in the menu. I see the screencast on their website touts synchronous editing - it's indeed somewhat rare. (I think Boxer supports it to some extent, as does the latest Delphi IDE). They also emphasize "TextMate bundles", but I could never find out what they are exactly, or how they relate to text clips or macros.

Would you care to give me a short "e for dummies" intro?

tranglos:
What I gathered from the overview was that the author was not happy with the XML editor because it was Java based and happy because of the views. XML Marker is able to whip up the same views plus one extra...from what I saw during my 5 minutes of "testing the application". Maybe a contender for the throne currently held by Oxygene XML editor?  :)
-Shades (April 27, 2009, 09:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks, Shades. I did try XML Marker once. Unfortunately, it does not support Unicode encodings, so I could not use it. Not supporting at least UTF-8 is a bit of a blind alley for an xml editor, since UTF-8 is the "native", default encoding for xml.

I had to mention the startup time of Oxygen, since what good is a review of a Java program without a little friendly poke in the ribs about that? :) In my defense, I share the favor equally between Java and .Net programs.

I should say though that once Oxygen is running, it is not perceptibly sluggish at all (unlike .Net apps, which are *always* slow, even when they are shutting down, heh!).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version