ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The Best Of: text editors

<< < (36/36)

superboyac:
OO!!  One of the very few editors with ftp access built in.  Very tempting just for that.
-superboyac (January 24, 2013, 04:27 PM)
--- End quote ---
I see that as a kind of anti-feature, aimed at disorganized PHP developers :)
-f0dder (January 25, 2013, 01:56 AM)
--- End quote ---
LOL! That was cold! ;D Likely true. :Thmbsup: But still cold. ;D
-40hz (January 25, 2013, 08:56 AM)
--- End quote ---
Well, sorry.

But once you've seen enough people that directly edit their scripts webpages on production servers, don't have any VCS, and only occasionally do backups in zipfiles (with no coherent naming schemes...), you kinda start to disapprove of built-in ftp support :)
-f0dder (January 25, 2013, 11:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

No need to apologize over that observation. ;D :Thmbsup:

Not that I can really blame the pHp crowd. Just like you can't be a good employee if you're working for a bad company - you can't become an elegant programmer if you're working with something like pHp. At least from my experience with it. pHp is easily the least elegant of any computer language I've ever seen. And I've worked with COBOL, Basic, and APL so I know ugly when I see it. But in this case, it's more than just the syntax. It's the whole design of the thing (or possibly lack thereof) that makes me want to scream every time I see a listing of pHp code. It's brought the concept of 'quick & dirty' and 'fix it later' programming to a whole new level AFAIC. ;)

-40hz (January 25, 2013, 12:59 PM)
--- End quote ---
interesting!  I've never said so, but as a non programmer, I've always hated even dealing with php, or even looking at it.  I even hate having to cut/paste it around.  looks awful to me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version