ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Hotkey nostalgia

<< < (3/4) > >>

40hz:
It actually used the demand paged virtual memory supported in hardware on the 386. I think it went away after a short time.
-MilesAhead (April 26, 2009, 06:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

Are you thinking of of SoftLogic Solutions's product Software Carousel; or IBM's ill-fated TopView? Quarterdeck borrowed heavily from Topview when DESQ became DESQiew.

MilesAhead:
I remember the name Software Carousel.  I thought there was a free one I got though. It's been so long I don't remember if it was a demo or a freebie. I definitely remember the names Topview and Carousel though. I seem to remember the Byte Magazine columnist that did Chaos Manor seemed to always talk about firing up DesqView.

The stuff I used was probably trial versions or demos.  I did too much programming on the machine to keep something like that working very long. :)

f0dder:
Back in the days of Turbo (and later Borland) Pascal programming for DOS, I used an ascii table called "RAT" (Resident Ascii Table). Even when I moved to Win9x I still loadede it before win.com :)

rjbull:
Anyone suffering DOS withdrawal syndrome should check out the Free Software for DOS Web site  :)  Not primarily TSRs, though.

One TSR I really liked - a shareware called OnCall, which was a TSR control program.  You loaded your other TSRs into it.  It kept one of them active, and saved all the rest to disk.  When you needed another one, you got OnCall to swap them round.  I would have registered, but the company disappeared.  Then QEMM + DESQview came along, which was a very good multi-tasking system, and the need for TSRs more or less went away.

MilesAhead:
I think I remember that OnCall.  Plus there were a lot of good ones in PC Magazine.  I can't remember specific ones though. I'd have to look in archives.

The biggest ordeal with those little assembler programs was some little disk sector editor in a Peter Norton book. They didn't give you a floppy with the code.  I had to type in 13 different files of assembler source and assemble 'em all together to get this little com program.  Good thing I took typing 101 or I wouldn't have gotten through it.  The thing actually worked when finished, which is always nice. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version