Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site September 19, 2014, 10:58:02 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Learn about the DonationCoder.com microdonation system (DonationCredits).

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: $10 Orange Box on Steam  (Read 4924 times)
Ehtyar
Supporting Member

That News Guy

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: April 24, 2009, 09:57:46 PM »

I imagine many already know about this but...

Quote from: ArsTechnica
This weekend Steam is cutting the price of the epic Valve collection the Orange Box to only $10. Yes, $10. If you don't own this yet, you know what to do.

Are you a gamer who doesn't yet own the Orange Box for the PC? This weekend should have you covered, as you can pick up the package of six games for only $10. That's right, the whole thing is only $10.

That gets you Half-Life 2, HL2 Episode 1, HL2 Episode 2, HL2 The Lost Coast, Portal, and Team Fortress 2. It's an amazing stack of amazing games, and it's only $10. If you were looking for an excuse to give in and pick the game up, you have it. Bought separately, the games would cost you around $85.

http://arstechnica.com/ga...-now-only-10-on-steam.ars

Ehtyar.
fenixproductions
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 10:15:04 PM »

"Bought separately, the games would cost you around $85."

Heh, it's always made me laugh to read something like that Wink

I bought my copy for about 25-30$ two years ago and I don't see anything special about "this weekend" offer. I remember "HL2 The Lost Coast" crashing like hell but despite that "Portal" makes this deal great.

Надо было учиться, а не камни в школу бросать...
--
When I am bored I write for displaynone smiley
--
f0dder is my personal hero smiley
gexecuter
Supporting Member

Move over and give us some room...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 11:15:59 PM »

I wish i had 10 dollars for this offer but i don't so i am screwed Sad *cue sad violin*

Mouser is made of win and awesome!
lanux128
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 12:19:18 AM »

good deal, i'd say even if you're only going to play Portal but HL2: Lost Coast is not a game. it's more like a technical preview for HDR.

mnemonic
Supporting Member

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 05:20:15 AM »

Good spot  Thmbsup

Is it me though, or are the Steam servers painfully slow?  I'm just downloading Portal at the moment in my local region (UK) and it's stuck at around 100-150KB/s (I can normally get 500KB/s on downloads).  Considering how big the games are, downloading them all could take a while  Sad
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 06:33:56 AM »

mnemonic: happens from time to time - I guess if a lot of people are using this $10 offer, it could put quite a load on the servers. STEAM is supposed to support multi-server downloading though, I'm pretty sure I saw some notes about that in a steam update - but if all servers are swamped, that of course isn't going to help smiley

- carpe noctem
lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 06:35:06 AM »

it could be that their servers are taking a hit, given that this offer is time-limited.. good luck, though..

mnemonic
Supporting Member

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 06:47:00 AM »

I guess I'll just have to be patient  Grin

I'm surprised that they don't use a P2P system instead - the application could still connect to Steam's licensing servers to verify the license.
lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 06:53:14 AM »

unfortunately P2P has become a dirty word with it being blamed for all the malaise of the web.. smiley

Deozaan
Charter Member

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 01:27:59 PM »

This is worth the $10 for Portal alone. The fact that you get 4 other games (HL2, Episode 1, Episode 2, and Team Fortress 2) for free is just frosting on the cake.

Lashiec

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 04:11:48 PM »

I bought my copy for about 25-30$ two years ago and I don't see anything special about "this weekend" offer.

HERESY!

Suffice to say I did take a mere nanosecond to take advantage of the offer. I was curious about Portal and Team Fortress 2, and I finally will be able to put an end to the jokes about my "PC Gamer" status for not having Half-Life 2.
gexecuter
Supporting Member

Move over and give us some room...

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2009, 05:40:17 PM »

Thanks to all the people who made it possible to have the Orange Box, you know who you are  cheesy

Mouser is made of win and awesome!
fenixproductions
Honorary Member

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2009, 06:02:11 PM »

Portal is indeed a great game worth more than 10$. For me it was more enjoyable than HL2 but it has one, very big bug: it is too short. It should have (at least) the same number of levels as KulaWorld had.

Надо было учиться, а не камни в школу бросать...
--
When I am bored I write for displaynone smiley
--
f0dder is my personal hero smiley
Ampa
Charter Member

I am cute ;)

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2009, 07:20:01 AM »

OK I bought it, having sworn blind never to give steam any more of my money, after nasty incompatability problems with HL2 Ep1, back when it first came out.

So I now have a spare copy of HL2 and HL2 Ep1, if any one here at DC would like them - for free - then send me a PM with your steam username and I'll send them your way. Gone to Lanux128

Happy gaming! Apart from those of you with exams / work deadlines / family responsibilities that you are no doubt prioritising first Wink
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 08:29:33 AM by Ampa » Logged
lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2009, 08:02:23 PM »

thanks Ampa for breaking your promise, i get to be the lucky beneficiary.. smiley

thanks again.. Thmbsup

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.043s | Server load: 0.07 ]