ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Help for solving a XP home lan mystery

<< < (8/8)

Carol Haynes:
Try www.avast.com - the do a free home version and it is excellent and low impact on your system.

MerleOne:
Try www.avast.com - the do a free home version and it is excellent and low impact on your system.
-Carol Haynes (May 06, 2009, 04:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

It used to generate a lot of extra disk activity (1-2 years ago). There is a new version ?

Carol Haynes:
I am using it and haven't noticed a lot of disk activity - in fact it seems remarkably quiet and has almost no impact on day to day computer use.

MerleOne:
I am using it and haven't noticed a lot of disk activity - in fact it seems remarkably quiet and has almost no impact on day to day computer use.
-Carol Haynes (May 07, 2009, 08:24 AM)
--- End quote ---
Good to know.  I'll try it if I cannot manage with Rising and if I can't get Avira to correct this.

MerleOne:
I finally found the solution to my problem, thanks to WXPNews. 

In a recent newsletter (http://www.wxpnews.com/archives/wxpnews-392-20090818.htm),
"How to fix a problem where you can't see other computers on the network", it says :
> Click Start | Run
> In the Run box, type regedit to start the registry editor
> Navigate to the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ System \ CurrentControlSet \ Services \ NetBt \ Parameters
> In the right details pane, find the values named NodeType and DhcpNodeType and delete them
> Close the registry editor and restart the computer.

And it worked !!!

;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version