ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Help for solving a XP home lan mystery

<< < (2/8) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Good idea - if there is a security suite installed (I think most Samsung's include MacAfee) try deactivating the software and see if that makes a difference.

Another thing you might want to check is in Control Panel / Folder Options / View tab check at the bottom that easy file sharing is enabled (it should be by standard but Samsung's OEM installation may have tweaked settings).

Failing all this I would be tempted to download the latest drivers for your network adapter and then uninstall the network adapter from Device Manager completely, reboot and install the drivers and network setup wizard from scratch.

MerleOne:
There is no apparent firewall but XP's. The NC10 came with McAfee Security Suite installed but was slowing a lot this low perf. machine so I removed it and installed Sunbelt's VIPRE, which, after some tuning, gives me what I want.  McAfee has a firewall but was set to allow file/printer sharing and VIPRE has no firewall.  Also, since it sometime works without me changing anything, I don't see how it could come from that.

There is some kind of network management built in McAfee, and when I activate it I see the other connected PC and IP address.  Same thing when I install the demo version of network magic.  It's just the Windows mechanism that seems broken.

I have looked into folders parameters, there is no "easy file sharing" parameter but rather "look for shared files and printer" option which is selected.

I would like to test networking using ethernet cable and not Wifi.  But I have to stop investigating for a week, my wife is going on a trip with it...

Anyway, thanks a lot for your support, it gives me a lot of new possibilities to investigate.

MerleOne:
Just an update : I noticed that the included Samsung Software Updater proposed to update the Wifi Card driver.  After the update, it seems that the network is working fine.  I have to experiment a bit more to be sure it now works fine.

Carol Haynes:
Good news - glad you got it sorted out  :Thmbsup:

MerleOne:
Good news - glad you got it sorted out  :Thmbsup:
-Carol Haynes (April 30, 2009, 07:14 PM)
--- End quote ---
Bad news : problem has returned.... I am going to try something else....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version