Thanks for the directions. I found something quite interesting this afternoon, which changes the way I am looking at this problem. Now I am almost convinced I did something to this computer configuration that led to that problem.
But before that, I found quite a nice workaround that I'd like to mention here : I downloaded 'netscanner' here : http://www.softperfe...ucts/networkscanner/
I select 192.168.1.0 and -.255 as start and end address, I launch this (on the Samsung NC10) and I get within a few instants all connected machines and also every available windows shared folders, including those who are hidden with a $ at the end. I can then very easily mount the required resources.
Getting back to what I mentioned above : since I got this machine, I installed FD-ISR (I got the updated version thanks to leapfrog software, having bought the full version some years ago from HorizonDataSys). I have kept a config almost identical to the machine as I unboxed it, and I have my current system, plus some other intermediate configs.
I happened to boot this old config, and the 'net view' command started to work immediately. I started again with the main config, and guess what, net view returns the error message. Back to the old config : it works.
Now I "just" have to compare configs to spot the difference, but this will take quite some time. I think I have activated (don't remember how) UPnP management, my TCP/IP config also mentions some SUE NDIS protocol (Samsung's) , but there are many other diff. : the antivirus, many things. I have to check...
The worst case scenario would be to reinstall everything from this config, which can be done, but I may encounter again the problem, and I'd like to identify how I did it, so I can avoid the same mistake again.