ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Recommend file shredder?

<< < (3/3)

Darwin:
I'm very late to this thread (didn't really get near a computer/DC all summer), but just wanted to give rjbull my condolences on the loss of his mother and his job. Went through redundancy myself 18 months ago and can sympathize.

rjbull:
Remember that just because you haven't heard about an exploit in the wild doesn't mean it's not been discovered and is being abused. With small(er) marketshare OSes, it's far more valuable to keep 0day flaws to yourself and target special victims for blackmailing, espionage, whatever than it is to try and do botnet harvesting.-f0dder (August 30, 2009, 01:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

Whoa, f0dder!  You're asking for a visit from some very heavy people intent on keeping you quiet!  But it's nice to hear that Windows isn't quite as bad as I thought in comparison with the opposition...

Well, the techie shouldn't be making smug remarks about OS stability if users are allowed to run with admin privileges

--- End quote ---

I more or less forced his hand.  Haven't had any problems before, everything ran stably for years, only this "uninstall too far" and that's water under the bridge now.  Still, a learning experience, and when (if ever) I get my Vista laptop up and running, I'll have to make sure I run as a user by default, not an admin.  So thanks for that advice.

rjbull:
I'm very late to this thread (didn't really get near a computer/DC all summer), but just wanted to give rjbull my condolences on the loss of his mother and his job. Went through redundancy myself 18 months ago and can sympathize.
-Darwin (August 31, 2009, 10:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

Darwin, thanks for your kind thoughts, and welcome back to DC.

As someone pointed out to me, work is a large part of the structure of your life - you get up at a certain time, visit certain places on certain days, see the same people and so on.  I feel a need for a break, but I'll have to find a new structure before too long.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version