ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

managing file permissions under windows (madness?)

<< < (3/5) > >>

urlwolf:
I've tried Hiren's boot cd and I still get "Missing operating system" :/
Could it be because I have too bootabe partitions?
windows server 2008 is smart enough to offer the two options; but maybe the boot CDs are not so sophisticated.
Should I erradicate my XP partition?

Shades:
Yes, server editions of Windows have that effect on a lot of software....and as I am not familiar with Win2008 it seems that my advice will not be that useful to you.

When using older versions of windows it was an option to select which (amount of) columns to be shown in Explorer by right-clicking on any of its column headers. You could try if TC changes its folder view according to the default set of Explorer columns.

Likely you are familiar with the 'ls' command under Linux, seems there is also a 'ls' command for Windows (GNU, 385Kbyte). The website shows it is working with Windows 2008. According to the helpfile it is able to show ACL's, SACL's etc. in several formats. Together with CHOWN for Windows (brothersoft link) you should be able to do quite some work regarding permissions (by script at least).

This seems to be an interesting forum thread on techguy.org.
A link to SWXCACLS, which seems to be an interesting tools as well.
There are are also the Unix tools for Windows (Sourceforge).

After all, the suggested tools are similar to the nature of Windows 2008, a version that goes 'back to basic' (hardly any GUI). Happy scripting  :)

Shades:
Ah, I did not understand your problem correctly.

A boot cd should not care about the partitions on a hard drive. Make sure that your BIOS is set to use a CD/DVD player as the primary boot device. Some bootCD's wait for a while for user interaction to start and without this interaction let the system boot normally from hard drive after this grace period. That could be an explanation for your problem with the Hirens BootCD.

The content of the Hirens BootCD is unknown to me, but I'll guess it contains a lot of software to repair broken systems as well. Going from that assumption, it is very likely that there is a software package on the CD that can show and/or edit partitions on any hard drive recognized by the BIOS.

Start that piece of software and check which partition is set to 'Active', as far as I know only primary partitions can be set to 'Active'. It is also not possible to set more than one 'Active' partition per hard drive and (by default) you cannot put more than four primary partitions on a hard drive. The 'Active' partition is used by he BIOS to start the Operating system. However, the Operating system will not be able to start the if the 'Active' partition does not contain any of the following files:

* ntldr
* ntdetect.com
* boot.ini
From these files only the 'boot.ini' file is easily fixed.
For example, this is the content of my boot.ini file (XP)

--- ---[boot loader]
timeout=15
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS means: use this entry as the default Operating system
multi(0) means: single hard drive
rdisk(0) means: first available drive
partition(1) means: first available partition
\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" means: default WINDOWS folder and name
/fastdetect means: important setting for NTDETECT.COM.

For example, this is how the content of your dual boot system would look like

--- ---[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows 2008 Server edition" /fastdetect

Above boot.ini file makes sure that Win2008 is started by default. More info (Microsoft) about the boot.ini file

Stoic Joker:
I've tried Hiren's boot cd and I still get "Missing operating system" :/
Could it be because I have too bootabe partitions?
windows server 2008 is smart enough to offer the two options; but maybe the boot CDs are not so sophisticated.
Should I erradicate my XP partition?
-urlwolf (April 26, 2009, 12:40 PM)
--- End quote ---
Dual boot config shouldn't trip the CD that badly. I could see it skipping the 2nd OS and jumping into the 1st. ...But missing OS error? That sounds like a missing RAID driver type of issue to me.

Edvard:
@f0dder: in ubuntu, one sudo leaves you with admin rights for a few mins. So you can install a bunch of stuff with one authentification. In windows server 2008, every new thing you want to install will ask you for a passwd. It adds up.
--- End quote ---
And 'sudo bash' gives you an entire session to root around in (pun intended)...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version