ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

managing file permissions under windows (madness?)

<< < (2/5) > >>

fenixproductions:
2urlwolf
a - archive
r - read only
h - hidden-Shades (April 25, 2009, 12:21 PM)
--- End quote ---
One more: s - system

You can also try few plugins like:
- Security Info - http://www.totalcmd.net/plugring/SecInfo.html
- Attributes: http://www.lefteous.de/tc/archives/attributes/attributes.zip

I think it shouldn't be hard for someone skilled to write better plugin which could display the same info as Properties dialog :)

urlwolf:
fenix: thanks, that helps
Shades: I'll try this when I get home, laptop has no CD burner. THanks!

MilesAhead:
For future ref. you can create a password reset on a USB key or floppy(if you have a floppy drive)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306214

Also, not that it helps much, but MS almost got it right with NT 4 Server.  In the user account templates there is a group called Operators.  If your account was a member of Operators, you could install software, register ActiveX Controls etc.. but you couldn't delete core system files etc..

Trouble with non Server Windows is there's no happy medium.  Guess they tried to move in that direction with Vista but it would have been better if they did the Operator's Group approach I think. Thing is it's really a single-user multi-tasking system trying to act like multi-user.  You need to be Owner with all the crap turned off or you lose your mind!!

In Linux I just kept a console window open where I did an su command if I was going to be installing or messing with stuff.  No clicking on "do you want to do that?"  when if I didn't want to do it, I wouldn't have done it!!  Jeez!!

f0dder:
Explorer (or TC) do not list file permissions. (!), at least that I could find. What's wrong with listing say -rwx------ like in unix?
--- End quote ---
Explorer is geared towards normal users, who don't need to see this kind of stuff. And given how permissions work on NT, I wonder how you'd represent the permissions. Perhaps calculate the effective permissions for the current user?

Changing permissions recursively sucks. You have to use cacls.exe, which is very limited.
--- End quote ---
Limited how? And ugly compared to chmod+chown how? Longer commandlines, sure, but beyond that?

Changing permissions is extremely slow. In unix, it rarely takes seconds, even for a huge tree. In windows, it's been minutes already for a not-so-big tree! Any reason for this madness?
--- End quote ---
Hm, using cacls is pretty fast for me - going through the GUI might be slower (like mass-deletes through explorer is slow because it wants to report progress etc), but I've never used the GUI for large trees so wouldn't know :)

You are allowed to do crazy things like erradicate the administrators group. You read that right: you can make it so some user has full permissions on a file, but the admins don't. I have no idea how I managed to do this feat... and I fixed it now. But I'm really curious about what purpose this may fulfill
--- End quote ---
It's called flexibility. Traditional unix user/group permissions are extremely limited compared to NT-style ACLs. Granting users and denying administrators might not be a useful thing to do, but stuff like being able to grant multiple groups access to a set of files can be useful - with *u*x permissions, you'd have to create a separate group allowing access to those files, then adding users to that group; messy.

Not to mention that every action that requires admin privs will prompt for a passwd. So, in a normal day, you can easily type the admin passwd about seven billion orders of magnitude more than on unix.
--- End quote ---
When running non-root linux, don't you need to sudo when doing administrative tasks? How is this different from Windows?

urlwolf:
2urlwolf
a - archive
r - read only
h - hidden-Shades (April 25, 2009, 12:21 PM)
--- End quote ---
One more: s - system

You can also try few plugins like:
- Security Info - http://www.totalcmd.net/plugring/SecInfo.html
- Attributes: http://www.lefteous.de/tc/archives/attributes/attributes.zip

I think it shouldn't be hard for someone skilled to write better plugin which could display the same info as Properties dialog :)
-fenixproductions (April 25, 2009, 12:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hi Shades,

Looks like that program doesn't support windows server 2008; I get Missing operating system, and nothing else. I have an XP partition and a windows server 2008 partition.
Do you know of any alternative that works on windows server 2008? If not, I'll keep searching.

Thanks!
@f0dder: in ubuntu, one sudo leaves you with admin rights for a few mins. So you can install a bunch of stuff with one authentification. In windows server 2008, every new thing you want to install will ask you for a passwd. It adds up.

re: speed, my tree was about 24GB, and it tooks maybe 3-4 hours. No idea how fast that'd be under linux.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version