topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:34 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: DONE: Right Click any file and create New Folder by its Name  (Read 298385 times)

Cinematic6436

• Participant
  • Joined in 2022
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: DONE: Right Click any file and create New Folder by its Name
« Reply #275 on: January 11, 2022, 01:32 PM »
Hi Skwire --

I've used Files2Folder countless times for at least 6 years, and it's always been a real help, so thank you for creating it.

I upgraded from Windows 7 64-bit to Windows 10 about a year ago, just tried Files2folder today, and now it's not working. I can't remember exactly, but I'm almost positive I used it with Windows 10 at least in the last few months. I try to put a test file into a folder, and after two full minutes (!), I get the following message:

"This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Apps Settings page."

I tried the following, choosing "Run as administrator" every time.

-Uninstalling it using the Unregister shell extension shortcut (which was oddly missing from the install directory -- I had to reinstall it to recreate it)
-Uninstalling it using Unregister_F2F_Shell_Extension.exe
-Using the compatibility troubleshooter on Files2Folder.exe (Windows Vista SP2 was suggested)
-Ran CCleaner on the registry

My current install directory is C:\Program Files\Files2folder. There were one or two duplicate directories I found in a search containing the same files that I deleted before reinstalling, but I still get the above error message. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

Brian

badbob001

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #276 on: May 09, 2022, 12:04 PM »
Is there a way to have f2f prompt for destination folder even when moving a single file? Could be a modifier key option.

chumbolito

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #277 on: May 25, 2022, 03:08 AM »
Hi,
Same as Brian (Cinematic6436), I'm fairly new to F2F but since discovering it, it gets almost daily use! However I also recently changed PC, reinstalled everything and ran into the exact same problem Brian described!
Does this mean the end of F2F with more recent updates of Windows then?
I'd love to forward a donation to this small but very useful script but seeing it hasn't been updated since 2014 and it currently doesn't even work anymore...seems pointless  :-\.
Thanks,

File2Folder problem.pngDONE: Right Click any file and create New Folder by its Name

r0ck3tM@n

• Participant
  • Joined in 2022
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #278 on: June 25, 2022, 10:23 AM »
I also was having this problem. I am on Windows 11. But I did get it to work again! You'll need to edit the registry so do this at your own risk. In Regedit I searched for Files2Folder and deleted every single mention of the file. There was about 10 items to delete. I then deleted the INI file in the unpacked folder for the program. I ran it as an Administrator which recreated the INI file and the function is currently working as needed.  8)

Joegrigg21DC

• Participant
  • Joined in 2023
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #279 on: June 14, 2023, 04:42 AM »
I have fixed my problem by creating a new sub-key under shellex key

jbro

• Participant
  • Joined in 2023
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #280 on: July 19, 2023, 07:05 AM »
Hi Everyone :) I just want to say I am a massive fan of this app. I have used it for years now, working well on Win11, I always need to organise a lot of media, and this is always the first tool i use. I've searched high and low, and I cannot find any other software that achieves what I want so quickly and easily.

I am a little saddened to see the last update was many years ago, with Win11's stupid new smaller right-click context menu, this app is consigned to the "more options"  :( :(
Wouldn't it nice to have this working on the new context menu, one can only dream  :Thmbsup:

Anyway, now that I found the author and this site, i'll chuck them a handy 20 dollarydoos  :D

Have a great day

publicdomain

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2019
  • Call me Vic!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #281 on: July 19, 2023, 01:05 PM »
with Win11's stupid new smaller right-click context menu, this app is consigned to the "more options"

Registry edit @ https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/get-classic-full-context-menu-windows-11/

"You have to make sure to Log Off Windows and then Log On again and it will work. I just tried it. The key is logging OUT of Windows and then logging IN."
-D

:Thmbsup:
My name's Victor but do feel free to call me Vic!

Support with your DonationCredits!
❤️ Support on Patreon @ www.patreon.com/publicdomain
🎁 One-time Paypal @ www.paypal.com/paypalme/victorvls
Email/Paypal: publicdomainvicgmail.com
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 02:03 PM by publicdomain »

kingguz

• Participant
  • Joined in 2023
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #282 on: October 23, 2023, 03:45 PM »
I've got the same problem as noted by Cinematic6436, above. The difference is, I'm running Windows 11. A fresh install of Win 11 was done on a new machine in May of 2022. files2folder ran fine until about April or May of 2023, then suddenly stopped working. I assumed a Windows Update killed it. I re-installed, several times, nothing seems to help. I tried the Registry action listed above. Only found TWO instances of files2folder in the Registry, but I deleted them both. End result?  Still have the same problem, with the same error message. BUT, I did manage to kill ALL internet access in the process! I've done MANY Registry edits in the past without problems, but who knows...Windows is a strange, unforgiving beast. Anyway, a Restore from a Back-Up-Point solved the problem.

So, any chance the author could "fine-tune" the program to make it work like it used to? I'd gladly donate, if it can be made to work again....

kingguz

• Participant
  • Joined in 2023
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #283 on: March 14, 2024, 02:31 AM »
Well, Windows 11 presented another problem (for me) which was un-fixable by all the "standard" means quoted on the web. So, I resorted to the re-installation of Windows/Retain all your files method to try and solve the issue. I THINK it may have fixed my new problem, but just for giggles I tried the Files2Folder  program again, and lo and behold, it now WORKS! No bets on how long it will stay working, but time will tell. FWIW - During the period that F2F did NOT work, I continued to search for a replacement. I found one, it works (although a bit slower, but it seems to be currently/actively supported. So, I'm now using THAT one. I won't mention it's name here, as that seems inappropriate to me. But, I WILL give a clue: same name only singular, via Google search. Good luck, if anyone cares. If not, c'est la vie! I still think this one (on this site) is a GREAT program, as long as  it continues working. Would still like to see it updated to more modern versions of Windows.

publicdomain

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2019
  • Call me Vic!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #284 on: March 15, 2024, 10:21 PM »
Good luck, if anyone cares. ... Would still like to see it updated to more modern versions of Windows.

Hello & good day @kingguz! Please feel free to check the "Folderize" coding snack thread:

Folderize is supported, so feel free to request changes/improvements/fixes.

(BTW If it helps a fellow, it's an important scenario for sure :))

Cheers!
My name's Victor but do feel free to call me Vic!

Support with your DonationCredits!
❤️ Support on Patreon @ www.patreon.com/publicdomain
🎁 One-time Paypal @ www.paypal.com/paypalme/victorvls
Email/Paypal: publicdomainvicgmail.com