topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:45 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: FolderCache 6.3.8.1  (Read 91244 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: FolderCache 5.7.2.0
« Reply #100 on: May 25, 2011, 07:21 PM »
FolderCache 5.7.2.0 Added variable delay to Side By Side function.  This increases the chances folders will finish opening before the Tile Window call when many are selected.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: FolderCache 5.8.0.0
« Reply #101 on: June 03, 2011, 10:46 PM »
FolderCache 5.8.0.0 Only resorts to Tile Window API for Side By Side if opening more than 8 folders.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #102 on: June 05, 2011, 03:23 AM »
Here's a screen shot of 8 folders opened with FolderCache using Side By Side Button.
Note that the multiple tabs on each folder aren't from FolderCache. That's QTTabBar's doing. :)

DesktopSmall.png

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #103 on: June 05, 2011, 07:16 AM »
@Miles - Forgive me, but I am having a hard time trying to see the full picture, regarding FolderCache; so many changes over a long period of time, but still the same ultra-short description of features. Maybe you could find the time to update the homepage (changelog is still at 4.9)? I didn't take interest at first, back in April 2009 when you launched FolderCache, sorry!, but now you are telling that you are running QTTabbar and FolderCache at the same time, so suddenly I am most interested.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #104 on: June 05, 2011, 03:16 PM »
Thanks for your interest.  All the commands are detailed in the Readme. Use the Show Readme command in Tray Menu.  If you have a program that can display TreePad type files, such as TreePadLite, that's registered for .hjt file type, press F1 when the Folder Cache window is open.  If it's not registered, use Choose Help Reader command in Tray Menu.

I didn't use the compiled TreePad reader program because a small help file becomes over a MB with the reader compiled in. It's very slow of the HD.  It's better to either use the Readme file, or install TreePadLite or one of the more advanced TreePad apps.  TreePadLite is free and opens very quickly.

I've kind of gotten away from updating the changes page because this program has a Check For Updates command. If a newer version is on the site for download, it will prompt to fetch it.

If you use a ToolBar near the TaskBar such as RocketDock or another you may also want to take a look at MaxaMiser.  Alt Up Arrow "MaxaMises" the active window while leaving a gap next to the TaskBar to avoid covering your toolbar.  The gap is adjustable via .ini file.
Eventually I'll add the adjustable gap to FolderCache.  One step at a time though. :)

Currently FolderCache Side By Side Button is hard wired to leave a gap that's 5% of the screen width or height depending on the location of the TaskBar.  Also is TaskBar is set to AutoHide I believe the API for the screen work area gives the screen resolution as the work area.  To get a gap TaskBar AutoHide must be disabled.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 03:23 PM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #105 on: June 05, 2011, 03:55 PM »
By the way, just unzip FolderCache to an empty folder.  There's no install. If you want to get rid of it, delete the folder. The entire download is less than 1/2 a MB.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: FolderCache 5.8.1.0
« Reply #106 on: June 05, 2011, 04:43 PM »
FolderCache 5.8.1.0 Added .ini file option PercentMargin to set TaskBar Gap size.  Run the new FolderCache and then quit it if you wish to change the margin from the default 5%. The new .ini file will have comments for valid range and defaults for PercentMargin.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: FolderCache 5.8.2.0
« Reply #107 on: June 05, 2011, 07:40 PM »
FolderCache 5.8.2.0 Fixed .ini file save glitch introduced in last version.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: FolderCache 5.9.0.0
« Reply #108 on: June 12, 2011, 01:14 AM »
FolderCache 5.9.0.0 Changed the routine that shows folders Side By Side to take into account TaskbarGap.exe running on the machine.  If so, it assumes TaskbarGap has adjusted the work area to leave a gap next to the taskbar.  Meaning it will just minimize all currently open windows, open the folders, then call TileWindow API.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: FolderCache 6.0.0.0
« Reply #109 on: September 07, 2011, 11:42 PM »
FolderCache 6.0.0.0 Added Tray Menu Option to middle mouse click on Desktop to open the PopUp Window. (Recommend left clicking mouse on Desktop first to insure Desktop is the "active" window.)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 09:23 PM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: FolderCache 6.0.1.0
« Reply #110 on: September 08, 2011, 01:56 PM »
FolderCache 6.0.1.0 Fixed bug closing mouse handler when main app closes.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: FolderCache 6.1.0.0
« Reply #111 on: September 25, 2011, 06:22 PM »
FolderCache 6.1.0.0 Added a Sort Button that toggles the list order Alpha/MRU.

Note this only changes the sort in the current display. The data storage is always MRU based. Just now and then it's easier to see what your looking for in an alpha sorted list.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: FolderCache 6.1.1.0
« Reply #112 on: September 26, 2011, 04:06 PM »
FolderCache 6.1.1.0 Sort Button disabled during list filtering. If you want to change the sort mode while entering a filter in the Input Line you can select and cut, to empty the line.  This enables the Sort Button again.  Hit the Sort Button, then paste back the filter you cut.  Pretty rare you'd want to do this.  But it avoids unexpected sort behavior such as reloading the entire list even though there is filter info in the Input Line.

Minor bug fix I guess you'd say. :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: FolderCache 6.1.3.0
« Reply #113 on: October 01, 2011, 06:54 PM »
FolderCache 6.1.3.0 Minor code updates.  Now the program sets ini file option UseMiddleMouseClick to True or False on close.  If you edit manually you may set it to either True or 1 to enable.  Any other value disables.  It's adjustable via the Tray Menu anyway.

I'm just trying to get away from using a numeric 0 for False and 1 for True in AutoIt3 apps when there's a perfectly good Boolean type available.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: FolderCache 6.2.0.0
« Reply #114 on: October 05, 2011, 02:37 PM »
This revision will be taken down.  The technique to get current folder name is not useful for polling functions.  Works ok for hitting a hotkey while the folder is the active window.

v. 6.1.3.0 is the one to use.

Nevermind. :)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 03:58 PM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: FolderCache 6.1.4.1
« Reply #115 on: November 14, 2011, 07:17 PM »
FolderCache 6.1.4.1 See included Readme for list of revisions.  But this last is just an updated icon.  It's a bit easier to see that the tray icon is a dollar sign when using white background and teal foreground.  Also changed dollar sign to "single bar" type. Just stands out a bit better in the tray.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: FolderCache 6.2.0.0
« Reply #116 on: January 13, 2012, 06:31 PM »
FolderCache 6.2.0.0 Recompiled with enhanced valid folder checking.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: FolderCache 6.2.1.0
« Reply #117 on: January 19, 2012, 02:07 AM »
FolderCache 6.2.1.0 Now PopUp Window opens with vertical effect.  Closes with fade.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: FolderCache 6.3.0.0
« Reply #118 on: January 21, 2012, 04:17 PM »
FolderCache 6.3.0.0 Faster path validation. Note that mapped network drives are prefereable to unc paths for speed.  The API call I now use can detect disconnected mapped drives without waiting for the network time-out.

This should avoid most PopUp Window display delays.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: FolderCache 6.3.3.0
« Reply #119 on: April 05, 2012, 04:12 PM »
FolderCache 6.3.3.0 Added animation to PopUp Window. This may be disabled via .ini file setting.
Note that there is no animation during launch.  But if you hit Esc to close the window it will fade. About dialog opens with slide if Glass Enabled etc..

In this latest release I cut down the PopUp Window open animation to 50 ms.  That way you don't have the sense of lag when the window opens. It should open by the time the Middle Mouse Button clicks up. (If it doesn't then it's likely there are items in the Folder Cache that are no longer connected such as a network drive or unplugged USB drive. I tried to reduce the lags in these cases by resorting to various APIs to detect if the folder exists. It's either check before adding to the list or risk getting OS error dialogs when an attempt is made to open a non-existent folder.)

« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 04:17 PM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: FolderCache 6.3.4.0
« Reply #120 on: June 05, 2012, 04:46 PM »
FolderCache 6.3.4.0 Updated Open Button to stagger folders across the screen and size the windows. Previous behavior was just to open the folders and let Windows stick 'em anyplace.

The "stagger" is adjusted according to the number of folders selected to open.
The width and height of the folder window is set to 1/2 the work area size in that
dimension.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: FolderCache 6.3.5.0
« Reply #121 on: June 06, 2012, 05:20 PM »
FolderCache 6.3.5.0 Open Button folder stagger updated so that if only one folder is opened, it is roughly centered on screen.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: FolderCache 6.3.6.0
« Reply #122 on: June 18, 2012, 06:25 PM »
FolderCache 6.3.6.0 Added code to add a backslash to root folders in the list. It also upcases the drive letter.  You should no longer see "c:" in the folder list. It should show "C:\" instead.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 06:41 PM by MilesAhead »

kevinyoukilis264

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #123 on: June 26, 2012, 08:57 AM »

Syncrify client compare folders on the local machine with corresponding folder on the server to determine if it contain files that require backup. This is the default behavior and is done for every folder on the client machine.

When folder cache option is enabled, Syncrify creates a local cache file containing this list for comparison. This cached data is stored in a sub-folder called FolderCache off of the Data Folder.

As with every option, there are pros and cons:

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #124 on: June 26, 2012, 04:20 PM »

Syncrify client compare folders on the local machine with corresponding folder on the server to determine if it contain files that require backup. This is the default behavior and is done for every folder on the client machine.

When folder cache option is enabled, Syncrify creates a local cache file containing this list for comparison. This cached data is stored in a sub-folder called FolderCache off of the Data Folder.

As with every option, there are pros and cons:
-kevinyoukilis264 (June 26, 2012, 08:57 AM)

I'm not familiar with "Syncrify" and have no clue why the information you posted relates to my program. If there's a connection please elaborate.

edit: the only thing I can think of is you mean there's a folder name clash because the other program uses a folder named "FolderCache" ??  The folder you unzip FolderCache into can be named anything. It uses the exe path to find the directory where the .ini file and data files are kept. The folder name "FolderCache" is not hard wired. I just copied all my FolderCache files into a new folder named CacheTest and ran it from there. Works the same.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 04:33 PM by MilesAhead »