ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

FolderCache 6.3.8.1

<< < (11/26) > >>

MilesAhead:
Folder Cache 3.0 Beta now has a "Stack Selected" button. This way you can filter the list with the input filter, push some items on the stack, then use another filter or show all, to find additional items. When you launch, any items in the Stack will be opened in addition to any selected items in the list. This way you don't need to reopen the window after a filtering operation and launch. Just stack 'em up until you're ready to open the items.

Currently I just use a tooltip as notification that some items were pushed on the Stack. Later I may give a choice of sound or some other notification.. once all the bugs are killed off.

Once Folder Cache seems stable I'll add the feature(s) to ReOpen.

MilesAhead:
Build 3.0.0.16 eliminated duplicate code that may have slowed populating the folder list.  Should be snappier now.

mouser:
Miles -- if ReOpen is "Folder Cache Only Better".. why is Folder Cache still maintained?

MilesAhead:
Miles -- if ReOpen is "Folder Cache Only Better".. why is Folder Cache still maintained?
-mouser (May 29, 2009, 12:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

I do updates there first.  Besides, maybe some people are only interested in recent folders.  Less memory usage with only one list.

edit: the other consideration too is that ReOpen uses WMI scripting to get the process name from the active window.  If you are only interested in folders it's better to use Folder Cache as it's slightly less CPU and resource intensive generally. It would actually run on versions of Windows prior to XP if compiled with an older version of AutoIt.

MilesAhead:
Folder Cache 3.1 - I added another wrinkle.  It's a pita if you pop up the window to open a recent folder and it's not in the list.  For this reason I added the ability to type the entire path of a file or folder in the input line.  If the path being typed is valid, it shows as bold.  Press Enter in the input line to open that item as well as any currently in the Stack.

The Delete Selected button also clears the Stack. If no items are selected in the list when Delete Selected is pressed, a Tooltip pops up saying "Stack Cleared" to give visual feedback.

As a free bonus the input line happens to allow opening non folder items such as text files or even program files. It's just there to avoid having to switch to another tool, command prompt, or explorer when one opens the Folder Cache window to find the desired folder isn't in the list. It's not meant to replace search tools such as FARR, Everything, or Windows Search.

If this mechanism works out I'll add the same feature to ReOpen eventually.

Edit: to save on typing long paths, if you have a single item selected in the list, and Alt-Left Click on it, it will be copied to the input line and the caret put at the end of the line.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version