ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > FARR Plugins and Aliases

FARR plugin: FARR Windows Search 0.3.0

<< < (28/36) > >>

leeyaunlong:
phitsc:
when I used FARR windwos search, the FARR will freezing. Can you help me?
My Environment:
WinXP SP3, WDS4.0, I also updated fscript.dll to 1.20.

BTW: In Win7, has no the problem.
-leeyaunlong (February 20, 2011, 09:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

Does it freeze no matter what you search for? or only certain searches? Do you have Outlook installed on the PC where it freezes?
-phitsc (February 20, 2011, 02:29 PM)
--- End quote ---
When I search any word, it will be happen. The FARR will hang up.
Yes, I installed outlook. But I also opened outlook.
In same time, I can use WDS to search any thing.

Armando:
One thing that could be done to make this plugin more powerful : when the keyword is written in farr's textbox (WS), offer options in the results :

1- search all
2- search emails
3- search contacts
4- search documents
5- etc.
9- show keywords list

User presses the corresponding number and this (e.g. F3) appears in the text box

ws Kind:contacts

...and starts to write what to search.

ws Kind:contacts Helen

...and of course farr shows the corresponding results.

What this does is : 1- narrows down search more easily when one has a vast number of data to search through, 2- teaches the user that some keywords exist and can be used with windows search.

The "9- show keyword list" option there would show all common keywords (cheat sheet) to use with WS... Either as a popup or as HTML in the result area.

This could be set as an option in the plugin "options" maybe, for those who think it's a drag... :)

Anyway... That was my suggestion of the day.

phitsc:
A good idea Armando. I was recently thinking about using natural language search (NQS) instead of the advanced query syntax (AQS) the plugin uses now, or at least offer it as an option. Would that be something you'd prefer to your suggestion, or not?

Armando:
Hi phitsc, Sorry about the delay.

Yes, natural search actually seems like a better way. I haven't got the chance to read a whole lot about it, but... is this function limited to Vista/Win 7 ? I have the feeling it is. But maybe it's just something you can enable and that's completely independent from the OS... Haven't checked the API.

In any case, offering it as an option can't do any harm ! :)

P.S. : I haven't upgraded to Windows 7 yet. I just don't have enough time to do so these days (contrarily to what I hear around me, it takes me much, much more than a few hours to reinstall and configure an OS and all the software -- no to mention the inevitable compatibility headaches !

phitsc:
No problem Armando.

Natural language search basically allows you to search like this:

email from Carl or Ed received this week

instead of like this:

kind:email from:(Carl OR Ed) received:this week

According to MSDN it's supported starting from Windows XP with SP2.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version