ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > FARR Plugins and Aliases

FARR plugin: FARR Windows Search 0.3.0

<< < (12/36) > >>

dantheman:
Here's a view of the files within the downloaded zip file.
Is it possible a file (or more) is missing?
Preview of zip content on right side.

FARR plugin: FARR Windows Search 0.3.0
By dacomboman

IainB:
@phitsc:
"You might be confusing the Microsoft Indexing Service with Windows Search. The FARR Windows Search plugin will let you query the Windows (Desktop) Search index, which I think is different to the Indexing Service. I have Windows Search running and to be honest I don't think it is influencing my machine's performance noticeably. I have the indexing service disabled as well by the way."
--- End quote ---
Well, it seems that maybe I was not confusing things after all, and that the Indexing Service is involved. This is how I found out:
1. I disabled GDS (Google Desktop Search), which I had been using already to search approx 1,774,000 items - including emails, chats, web history and files (the latter numbering approx 1,649,000).
2. I installed WDS (Windows Desktop Search) with no problems.  :up:
3. I installed the FARR plugin with no problems.  :up:
4. The plugin worked well - it found files and file properties really fast.  :up:
5. However, I wanted to be able to search for specific strings of text in any and all of my documents - including MS Office files, .txt, .pdf and inside .zip files.
6. When I started to configure WDS to do that, I was told that in order to do it, the Indexing Service had to be enabled (I had disabled it ages ago) on my drive. Enabling the Indexing Service was the last thing I had wanted to do  - it was a known resource hog that lowered the PC's performance.  :down:

So, regrettably, the FARR plugin and WDS have been uninstalled and GDS - which had always worked brilliantly for me - has been re-enabled.

I would thus tend to go back to and repeat my earlier comment that this FARR plugin would be great if it could be made to work with GDS - except that, after this experience and having given the matter some more thought since making that comment, I now wonder if the plugin wouldn't just duplicate the normal GDS search box functionality which pops into action readily enough when I type [Ctrl-SPACE].
In other words, what would the plugin be able to add over and above what you can already do with the GDS search functionality? (I have already tried HalfTone and found it duplicative and redundant.)

One benefit of this experience was the discovery that GDS was not to blame - as I had suspected it was - for a recurring problem I have had with my Centrino Duo CPU for some months. The problem was sporadic cascading episodes of CPU high occupancy (48% plus) by some processes (including FARR), one after another in succession, where the only resolution was to kill any process that went CPU-high (enter Process Tamer - :Thmbsup:). One of the processes that would sometimes be thus affected was the Windows Explorer shell! This problem continued to manifest itself even whilst GDS was completely disabled.

Hope this is helpful or of use to someone.

techidave:
Is it possible to search directly from within a folder?  For example, I have a c:\downloads folder and I would like to search for the quicktime installer that I downloaded.  If I type ws quicktime, i do not get any returns.  If i type ws downloads, it will find this folder and once I open that folder then I can see my quicktime file.  I did have to add c:\downloads to FARRs search folders option.

Just wondering if there was a more direct way.  Thanks for a great app!

phitsc:
Is it possible to search directly from within a folder?  For example, I have a c:\downloads folder and I would like to search for the quicktime installer that I downloaded.  If I type ws quicktime, i do not get any returns.  If i type ws downloads, it will find this folder and once I open that folder then I can see my quicktime file.  I did have to add c:\downloads to FARRs search folders option.

Just wondering if there was a more direct way.  Thanks for a great app!
-techidave (January 01, 2010, 12:51 PM)
--- End quote ---
Not sure if you're confusing the Windows Search plugin with FARR's built in searching functionality. It sounds like what you want is to type the name of something you've downloaded into the c:\downloads folder in FARR in order to launch it. If that is what you want, then what you did (add c:\downloads to FARR's search folder list) was the absolute right thing to do. What the Windows Search plugin does is offer you a way to query the Windows Search index (Microsoft's pendant to Google Desktop Search). It's main "advantage" (well, it's more a different aspect than an advantage) over FARR's built-in search is that it searches inside files (of supported types) instead of just file names. It finds file names too. But if you wanted to find what you've downloaded with the WS plugin, you'd have to make sure c:\downloads is indexed and you'd have to wait until the indexing service passed over it (while FARR's search is immediate).

techidave:
thanks for the reply, phitsc.  Your reply got me thinking that it hadn't yet indexed that download folder.  And that is what the problem was.  I had missed that part of the setup window that tells it where and what folders to index.

I did look for it but didn't find it until today.  The bad part of it is, it's not that hidden.  :-[

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version