topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:28 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: NoteZilla @ 50% off on BitsDuJour.com (13th May)  (Read 8941 times)

conceptworld

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
NoteZilla @ 50% off on BitsDuJour.com (13th May)
« on: May 11, 2009, 12:19 AM »
We are very pleased to announce that NoteZilla will be offered at 50% discount price on www.bitsdujour.com only on 13th May 2009. You will be able to purchase it for $14.95 instead of regular $29.95 price.

Don't miss it. We are offering 50% discount for the first time.

Learn more about NoteZilla at: http://www.conceptworld.com/NoteZilla/

Thanks.

dowzup

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NoteZilla @ 50% off on BitsDuJour.com (13th May)
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 06:07 AM »
One of my FAVORITE programs ever!  Between to-do lists and task reminders, I use the thing ALL DAY, EVERY DAY.

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 10:44 AM »
Hi Folks,

I'm gonna play with it today.  I've tried a couple of freeware sticky notes in the past (Presto Notes, maybe Stickies) .. but they didn't stick.  At least they did not survive my XP reinstall with any compelling unction to reinstall.

It looks like NoteZilla has increased functionality, attaching to programs or web-pages -- making it interesting.  Also I may use it a lot with a screen capture program (yes, I know there are screen capture programs that include a text-note function .. but I generally don't use them :) ).

Ok, will give it a try today.

Shalom,
Steven

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 10:59 AM »
Hmmm, 12 hours left.

If you are going to have a look and post about it, a little mention of the pros/cons Vs Stickies would be helpful.
I have Stickies open most of the time, but use it rarely. I've not seen any killer features in the writeups on NoteZilla to get me to check it out so far.

Added-
Stickies is portable (you have to pay more for the NoteZilla portable version and this does not seem to be available on BdJ)
Stickies synchronises with PDAs
And Stickies is free
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 11:19 AM by Dormouse »

conceptworld

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 12:13 PM »

NoteZilla Portable is available on BDJ (Read the last few comments on BDJ).
NoteZilla can synchronize with any PDA via MS-Outlook.

And there are several more features compared to Stickies.

Thanks.

Regards,
Gautam Jain

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 04:54 PM »
Hi,

The demo of NoteZilla is impressive, have you looked at it ?  I can see how it can function as a mini-PIM in a way that the normal sticky note app will not, most of those apps are simply notes here and there.  With Notezilla you can have categories and scheduling and such, and also cross-category groupings with a grouping-style for the notes (Were there tree-folder levels, maybe not.) Combined and selective.  In other words, you have a bit of a Keynote style app yet with the notes connecting to a webpage or an app or your own memoboard on an issue, rather than being within the note-tree structure only.  However you do not have niceties like multi-level groupings, as you would have in the better dedicated ToDo lists, and I am not sure if you have the fullness of scheduling that you have in calendar apps.  So there are trade-offs.  You do have a free-lance cross-categorization where you create categories and you say to which categories a particular note applies (I would say that was the favorable turning point, seeing that included). So I am tempted to simply give it a try and work with it with the $15 investment tonight on my main puter. If it works good, I am not going to worry now about the full investment on portable or a couple of puters.  I'd probably wait for the next deal (and encourage a DonationCoder discount).  If it stagnates, the $15 will be a learning experience.  However, I think it will have a long-term place, at least for certain functions, such as the ToDo list and webpage annotation. I do like color boards that have a bit of style, one on this puter concern, one on this Bible study, one on this financial doohickey, one on what I have to do today.  That aspect seems to make some sense, ad hoc memo-boards, independent yet selectively combinable.  Make sense ?

Oh, I liked the idea that you could make a note for a webpage, it is URL cognizant, and it allows wild-cards in the URL name so a note could for www.donationcoder.com/* and will appear only when I am up in any DC window.  I think that will get some use, notes attached to web-pages, and also applications, rather than simply independent structure. 

How much of this type of stuff is in Stickies and Presto-Notes and others.  I don't remember much, and it is the turning point for me giving it a tilt-a-whirl.

Shalom,
Steven
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 05:10 PM by Steven Avery »

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 05:36 PM »
Well, I had a look at NoteZilla myself & compared it with Stickies.

Most functions are present in both.
Both can attach notes to URLs, both have trees with multi-level categories (NoteZilla also has tags), etc
NoteZilla can contain images, Stickies is text only.
NoteZilla syncs with PDAs through Outlook (which I prefer to avoid), Stickies can do it directly.
Stickies can be sent notes by do-Organizer (which I use).

I liked some things about the NoteZilla UI and I liked the option of using images, though not sure how often I'd do it. I don't think I'd get much into tagging; I'd use other apps for anything requiring that much organisation. So the advantage for me, atm, seems to lie with Stickies. Happy to see if any other advantages for NoteZilla become apparent, and then happy to wait for another discount if they do  :)

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 06:23 PM »
Hi Folks,

For me the "tags" is a big plus, if I start PIM-ing away.

I just went into Online Armor and attached the sticky to the "Online Armor" window .. the sticky has my current questions about the program and the URL to my posts on their forum.  Thus when I bring up the Online Armor config window the sticky pops up .. kewl .. is that feature in Stickies (program window attachment .. not URL).

Also note that I will plan on "tagging" that with something like "support questions".  Then that tag will have the questions for Online Armor, Avira, Firefox, etc. grouped together.  To me that is the essence of PIM-stuff.  So I am pleased, at least conceptually.  This is a level of direct note relationship that I miss in the Keynote type of program (not that it would be replaced, the functions are complementary).

Shalom,
Steven Avery
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 06:27 PM by Steven Avery »

conceptworld

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 06:32 PM »

Thanks everyone :)

NoteZilla demo can be viewed here: http://www.conceptwo...oteZilla/nz_demo.asp

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 08:55 PM »
All academic for me anyway. I never seem to be able to buy anything through Plimus. Always seems to be going though fine, then goes into stasis at the end waiting for a response. Never seem to have the problem with anyone else.

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 09:58 PM »
Hi Folks,

A bit strange. Plimus always works well for me, although I am careful to save both a .pdf pic and the pertinent info (into Linkman) if questions come up, to have the purchase info.

I did appreciate learning how good is Stickies as well, however I went today's Notezilla route, since those two features above, tags and program attachment (actually attaches to the 'window' seen by the process manager) will be top everyday features .. plus I think it has a few other niceties.  Once I used it once I got the feel. Nice to have two fine programs to consider, one freeware, one shareware discount, for me NoteZilla is the more appropriate. The main thing is that the sticky fades away by itself, if you want it to, when the attached program is minimized, or webpage. Until today that feature had never even crossed my field of vision or mental synapses.

Shalom,
Steven Avery

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 03:10 AM »
I'm well aware that this is the sort of app where 'small' features and UI differences can make the difference between something you use all the time and something used rarely. So I was certainly willing to give it a go and saw enough to make me want to try buying and then seeing how much I use it. But I never can get through the final CC submission page with Plimus, every other company and it takes a few seconds and there may be a page from the CC provider for me to give final approval. And no time to sort out an alternative with CW (need to go out now). I'm sure I used to be able to buy stuff from Plimus in the past, but not this year.

Stickies will attach to programs too; can only attach to one thing at time though. But then I haven't thought of a reason why I would want to attach to two.

conceptworld

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 04:09 AM »

Hello Dormouse,

We saw the last 24 hours log on Plimus. But didn't find any failed transaction. Can you try again from:
http://www.conceptwo...teZilla/nz_order.asp

Please go ahead and purchase full price. We will refund back 50% to you.

With what name are you trying to purchase?

Regards,
Gautam Jain

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
NoteZilla and Stickies - leaders of the pack
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 07:52 AM »
Hi Folks,

If stickies attaches to programs, that leaves "tagging" as the major feature (for me) in NoteZilla.  Major enuf.  However Stickies can get a try on my mildly-used work puter, and then I can brainstorm in a month or so :-). 

(No, I wasn't thinking of multi-tagging, but if NoteZilla does that, I will give it a whirl, I can see a small nicety of a note attaching to both the program and the web-page, or multi-web-pages, so it stays up when you are looking at either variety.)

Note that FreewareGenius (and his views are always interesting) has a preference for Shock Sticker as his freeware best, with the emphasis on display and editing.

http://www.freewareg...10/01/shock-sticker/
Shock Sticker

However it was apparently missing url linking, apps sticking and a notes manager, all in Stickies and NoteZilla (he doesn't look at NoteZilla because his genius-ness is in freeware).  And tagging, in the Zilla. And some of the comments pointed out the lacks. So it is a bit of a non-issue for most of us.

-- NoteZilla and Stickies are the leaders of the pack.

When I originally considered all this -- I thought of sticky notes as oddities, partly based on my earlier limited use.  However now, understanding the linking aspect which defacto supplies both an auto-find and an auto-hide, I see these programs quite favorably.

Shalom,
Steven Avery
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 08:00 AM by Steven Avery »

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 04:29 PM »
With what name are you trying to purchase?
-conceptworld (May 14, 2009, 04:09 AM)

PM sent

scarney

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 07:04 PM »
i purchased with 11 minutes to go! ;) nice program conceptworld. plimus usually takes a full 2 minutes and sometimes a tad bit more to process the transaction, no doubt the longest processing of all the services i have used, and i have used them all. but i have never had one fail. and i have purchased ALOT of software through them.